copy keyframe

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

dekka

copy keyframe

Post by dekka »

hi guys, i have set up my character with several bones layers (1 for the torso and hip, 1 one for the left leg, 1 for the right etc) and when i animate it i want to have similar keyframes for all the layers so that on each layer i have a reference point for that layer . do i have to do it manually or is there a bit of magic that could help me save time. thanks guys
moho rocks
stephklein

Post by stephklein »

You shouldn't make a bone layer for each part you want to move, you should make One bone layer per character and have multiple bones. This should pretty much solve your problem, as you'd be able to keyframe the entire skeleton at once.

I recommend checking out the Bone tutorial.
-Steph Klein
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Well, there is a trade-off. If you use one bone layer per character, you have easier access to the bones, but less control over the individual bones, because of the selected bone animation channel. If your character is moving a lot of limbs (which is usually the case in a proper walk cycle), using one bone layer per limb gives you more control, because overlapping limbs have their own bone layer and you have less problems with the "Moho flow" (also see How to deal with Moho Flow).

However, for simple animation, like the not so convincing walk cycle in the tutorial, you should really use a single bone layer.

To answer the original poster's question. AFAIK there isn't a shortcut. You must manipulate the bone in its bone layer by selecting that bone layer. It would be nice if there were a kind of key-and-click combination which brought you automatically to the appropriate layer when you click on the bone in view.

But there isn't, so it is a bit more work with several bone layers, alas.
dekka

Post by dekka »

thanks for the reply. i kinda was expecting this answer. i still do believe that to have one skeleton per character limits you in many many ways. so i have spend the last few days experimenting with it and i think i've reached a compromise between one skeleton and too many bones. it works and i have actually perfect control of the limbs, it's just a shame, one can't apply keyframes to all the layers at the same time.
anyway. thanks again. hopefully i'll be able to show you the results very soon. may be a nice walk cycle!!!!
rock on
:wink:
stephklein

Post by stephklein »

I find that so long as you plan your animation out ahead of time, a single bone layer is all I need.
-Steph Klein
dekka

Post by dekka »

hi guys, i do agree planning is the most important thing in animation. but i find that with one single bone layer, i am losing curve control at the joints hence a painstaking long process of readjusting points where one could plan a character with 2 or 3 bone layers to control the joints as well as the actual limbs. so far it's working but it seems that to avoid one long problem you replace it with something else ( in this case the keyframing on several layers)... anyway, i think i am getting close now...
rock on
:wink:
stephklein

Post by stephklein »

Wait a minute... are you talking about multiple BONE LAYERS each attached to a single vector layer, or multiple VECTOR LAYERS nested inside ONE bone layer?

I think I just misunderstood what you were saying.
-Steph Klein
dekka

Post by dekka »

well steph, actually i have several layers within one bone layer but also bone layers within bone layer. example. i have made the torso and the hip as one bone layer with two vector layers then i added another 4 bone layers for limbs ( with 3 vector layers in each: leg, lower leg foot or arm forearm and hand) which i have attached to the torso layer. The positive point about this is that everything is controlled independently and i don't lose shape and volume when i animate it. i had loads of problem with bending joints and not losing the shape volume for the tweening. i guess it means more work on the rigging but the result is so far working. as soon as i can i post some animation and some screen shots.
stephklein

Post by stephklein »

Interesting. But why do you use bone layers within bone layers? Is there an advantage to doing this versus just using a single bone layer with more bones?

Also, are you using Flexible, Region or Manual Bone Binding? This might actually be the answer to my question. If you're not using Manual Binding, I can see why multiple bone layers might be advantageous.
-Steph Klein
7feet

Post by 7feet »

I use bone layers within bone layer a lot. The most common example would be a separate head Bone layer attached to a body Bone layer, so I can use bone to animate specific facial features and not get caught up in a bunch of overlapping bones (sometimes I place them pretty far away from the Shape they are controlling). Also did a bit where I imported a bunch of different 3D objects (parts of a skeleton) and asssigned the spine and ribcage, head, and each limb to a separate bone layer nested inside a master bone layer. Once it was set up, I was able to do a pretty decent full 3D treatment on it. If I knew some better maybe I could get better results in a 3D app, but I know Moho pretty well and it was a 3 second visual FX shot I needed to do quick. Worked out nice.
dekka

Post by dekka »

I use bone layers within bone layer a lot. The most common example would be a separate head Bone layer attached to a body Bone layer, so I can use bone to animate specific facial features
that's exactly the way i am trying to work 7feet, i am still working on it but the project should be ready soon :roll: so hopefully i'll post it here so people can comment on this approach.
rock on
stephklein

Post by stephklein »

Ah... I hadn't thought of that.
-Steph Klein