Figure walking into the light - How to?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

NealF

Figure walking into the light - How to?

Post by NealF »

Hello.

I'm trying to create a scene where I have some cartoon figures in silhouette and as they come closer, they walk into the light. I'm thinking there must be a way to use a black mask to fill the inside of the figure, and then animate it to move down or to the side as the figure moves forward.

I'd like to use image files for the figures if possible because of the line drawing and brush strokes I can get in Clip Studio. But if this is not possible with image files, I'll just draw it in Moho with the freehand tool.

Thanks.
hayasidist

Re: Figure walking into the light - How to?

Post by hayasidist »

I'd use layer blend modes for this.

e.g. multiply typically darkens. black blend over an image = black (i.e. image colours multiplied by 0) ; white blend over an image = the image unchanged (i.e. image colours multiplied by 1)

So, for example (and there are lots of other ways!!)

Set-up:
---------
Group: masking hide all
> vector: blend mode multiply. mask this layer; shape with black fill
> image: add to mask (assuming it has transparency away from the target character)

Timeline
-----------
image layer: animate the character moving into the light
vector layer: animate the fill colour from black (full silhouette) to white (or whatever colour the light is) as the character reaches the light

Exactly how you handle the background, highlights, shadows, foreground lights etc will depend on the scene set-up and effect you want - so if you have more specific questions, just ask!
NealF

Re: Figure walking into the light - How to?

Post by NealF »

Great! I'll give it a try.

Thanks.