Best "Walk" methods/tutorials?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

stealingfeathers

Best "Walk" methods/tutorials?

Post by stealingfeathers »

Hello!

I've used several methods for creating a walk cycle -- used a few tutorials and also used walk cycle images as guides. I've been pretty happy with the results, but I wonder if there are a couple "fool-proof" methods. It always seems like a very cumbersome process and I can't help but think there must be a cleaner way to get a good walk on my toons. I'd love to hear your opinion on your top choices for walk cycle creation (and of course the links to tutorials if possible).

Thanks!
neeters_guy

Re: Best "Walk" methods/tutorials?

Post by neeters_guy »

It would help if you post your links so we don't duplicate what you've already looked at. :wink:

The method for a REALLY basic walk is easy. Just a matter of setting the stride and crossover poses, then moving the body up and down.

Beyond that, if want to convey the subtleties of acting and weight, I would argue that there is no un-cumbersome way. Most character animation is done in series of passes, working from large movements (poses, timing) and gradually refining down to smaller details (anticipation, follow through, offsets, arcs, etc.). This just takes time, as all good work does.

Personally, I use Williams book, Animator's Survival Kit, but the most useful video tutorial I've seen is by Tom Roth. I don't think it's available any more, but perhaps he can be persuaded to bring it back.
stealingfeathers

Yeah I have his book. It's awesome. I just wondered about videos, too.

Thanks for the response!
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

There's a few here:
Walk Cycles
If you're not put off by scripting, you could have a look at Mike Kelley's script 'Walk Assist' (look under Scripting | Kelleytoons Scripts).
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
stealingfeathers

I've used most of those tutorials, but there is one or two I haven't looked into yet. I remember looking at the script assist at one point...I think I might have been having trouble getting that worked out, but maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind. ha ha. I'll check on the script again.

Thanks for sharing - much appreciated!
toymaker1

Post by toymaker1 »

stealingfeathers wrote:Hello!

I've used several methods for creating a walk cycle -- used a few tutorials and also used walk cycle images as guides. I've been pretty happy with the results, but I wonder if there are a couple "fool-proof" methods. It always seems like a very cumbersome process and I can't help but think there must be a cleaner way to get a good walk on my toons. I'd love to hear your opinion on your top choices for walk cycle creation (and of course the links to tutorials if possible).

Thanks!
The best walk cycle tutorial I found (by far) was by Tony Ross (Tonyteach). It is for Harmony, but the principles apply exactly the same in Moho.
Regards.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Yes , MK's walk assist is a 'must have'. I can't walk without it. :mrgreen:
mtbuck24

Post by mtbuck24 »

I teach moho and animation on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/@mccoy_buck