using Moho for non-cartoon animation

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

starfish30

using Moho for non-cartoon animation

Post by starfish30 »

Wow, this app is really impressive. So far I haven't done cartoon animation but I'm animating images for GIFs using smart mesh and bones and experimenting with the physics engine.

Stuff like this:
https://i.imgur.com/wBj5tBa.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/ERIG2QQ.gifv

Anyway, I noticed that even if I do nothing to an imported image, using the exact same dimensions as the original in Photohop, it renders slightly distorted. Is this normal for Moho or could there be something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!
Greenlaw

Re: using Moho for non-cartoon animation

Post by Greenlaw »

starfish30 wrote:if I do nothing to an imported image, using the exact same dimensions as the original in Photohop, it renders slightly distorted. Is this normal...?
It shouldn't be...could you post a comparison?

TBH, if it does, I've never noticed. Okay, now I'm curious.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
starfish30

Post by starfish30 »

Greenlaw wrote:It shouldn't be...could you post a comparison?

TBH, if it does, I've never noticed. Okay, now I'm curious.
here's the image I placed:
https://i.imgur.com/XRZoQhI.png

and the rendered result (nothing was done to the image):
https://i.imgur.com/OSKYfKD.png

Compared to the original the images is slightly softer and the pixels seem to have shifted up half a pixel. But it's not a rendering issue because the display looks the same.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Try disabling nearest neighbor sampling in the image layer, image tab settings.

EDIT: And enable higher quality rendering.
starfish30

Post by starfish30 »

synthsin75 wrote:Try disabling nearest neighbor sampling in the image layer, image tab settings.

EDIT: And enable higher quality rendering.
Didn't help. The problem doesn't seem to be rendering because the image also looks different (slightly softer) after importing.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, the aspect shouldn't change but with default settings there may be some render differences due to anti-aliasing and other quality processes (as Wes mentions.)

BTW, Higher Quality scales up the render internally and then applies AA. This gives you higher quality at the expense of much higher render times. (It's worth it, IMO.) It should make the render sharper but the process does alter the image slightly.

Just curious: what happens if you disable Nearest Neighbor Sampling and Higher Quality Rendering? Also, make sure Nearest Neighbor Sampling for New Images Layers is off. To me, these settings sound like they should disable the 'quality' post processes for the image layer and, assuming everything is rendered a the same pixel size, you should have the exact same image. But I've never actually tried that myself, and I could be wrong about it.

If there is a difference, I probably never noticed because I tend to use source images and textures that are higher resolution than the final target resolution.
starfish30

Post by starfish30 »

Greenlaw wrote:Yeah, the aspect shouldn't change but with default settings there may be some render differences due to anti-aliasing and other quality processes (as Wes mentions.)

BTW, Higher Quality scales up the render internally and then applies AA. This gives you higher quality at the expense of much higher render times. (It's worth it, IMO.) It should make the render sharper but the process does alter the image slightly.

Just curious: what happens if you disable Nearest Neighbor Sampling and Higher Quality Rendering? Also, make sure Nearest Neighbor Sampling for New Images Layers is off. To me, these settings sound like they should disable the 'quality' post processes for the image layer and, assuming everything is rendered a the same pixel size, you should have the exact same image. But I've never actually tried that myself, and I could be wrong about it.

If there is a difference, I probably never noticed because I tend to use source images and textures that are higher resolution than the final target resolution.
Thanks for the info. Changing Nearest Neighbor Sampling and/or Higher Quality Rendering doesn't seem to have an effect. The image looks soft on screen and renders out soft, plus when I paste the Moho render on top of the original in Photoshop there's a very slight shift. Less than a pixel, because if I move the image one pixel it look shifted in the other direction. But regardless of how it renders, shouldn't Moho display the image with the same detail it has in Photoshop?
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

starfish30 wrote:...But regardless of how it renders, shouldn't Moho display the image with the same detail it has in Photoshop?
This old thread may not explain the specific issue, but it does shed light on why you shouldn't expect pixel perfect rendering: Serious render quality problem
starfish30

Post by starfish30 »

neeters_guy wrote:
starfish30 wrote:...But regardless of how it renders, shouldn't Moho display the image with the same detail it has in Photoshop?
This old thread may not explain the specific issue, but it does shed light on why you shouldn't expect pixel perfect rendering: Serious render quality problem
Thanks for the link. That's exactly the problem I'm having.