How to reverse "follow the path" direction?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

WakkoCat

How to reverse "follow the path" direction?

Post by WakkoCat »

For my project I've created a few paths and had images attached to them using "follow the path" tool for them to go around and around endlessly in one direction. However, I realized I need to reverse the direction of one image so it goes the other way (without flipping the image). How do I reverse the direction, or do I have to delete the path and do it over again? I'm still learning, though. Thanks~
hayasidist

Re: How to reverse "follow the path" direction?

Post by hayasidist »

the percentage along the path is (obviously!) zero at the path start and 100 at the path end. On a cyclic path these are physically the same point, but (e.g.) 25% is a quarter of the way round in the direction you added points to create the path... so if you flip the path (animate point motion; step interpolation) so that it's now drawn "the other way round", your target will go in the opposite direction without you touching the "follow path" cycle you already have.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Can you just flip the keyframes?

Assuming you have two keyframes and the second one is set to Cycle, follow these steps:

1. Change the last keyframe to Linear.
2. Swap places between the first and last keys.
3. Now set the new last keyframe to Cycle.

This will give you the same motion, just in reverse.

Alternatively, link the motion to a Smart Bone Dial. Even with the motion going forward only, you can animate the SBD control in reverse and Cycle that.
WakkoCat

Post by WakkoCat »

I tried it, and it works! Thanks, Greenlaw! And thanks, Hayasidist also! ^^