Cannot view all layers at once

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Phlerndip

Cannot view all layers at once

Post by Phlerndip »

Hello,

I am very new to this software, so forgive me if this has been covered or just a really easy fix.

I am trying to break down a graphic into layers.

When I cut and paste a portion of the graphic into its own layer, I cannot see any of the other layers. Only the selected layer is visible. Every other layer is flat white.

I can select each layer individually to see them, but I cannot see all the layers at once.

What do I do?

Thank you in advance
Greenlaw

Re: Cannot view all layers at once

Post by Greenlaw »

I'm guessing you're using bitmap images? If so, you need to export the layers from your paint program with a transparent background or embedded alpha channel.

Most users will export PNG with transparency enabled. Others like layered PSD, but importing this format as layers is only available to Pro users. (I'm a Pro user myself but I prefer separate PNG imports for reasons explained elsewhere. I like exporting PNG layers from Photoshop using a free third-party script called Photoshop Export To Layers Fast.)

Or are you using Vector layers? If so, we need to see screen caps or a better description of the problem because vector layers normally have transparent backgrounds.
Phlerndip

Post by Phlerndip »

I placed an illustrator file, .ai saved as illustrator 8

I am using Anime Studio Pro 11

Following the instructions from a Tutorial for beginners on youtube

https://youtu.be/ifVW63a_MAw?t=16m24s
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, pics would be helpful.

FWIW, I just doodled something in AI 2015 cc, saved it as AI8, dragged that file into ASP 11, and it looked fine. Cut some of the elements and pasted them into a new vector layer, and transparency looked correct in both layers.

I know some users will use .svg export instead of AI8. I think this feature is supposed to be superior in Moho 12 (more accurate point and curve placement, better preservation of original look,) but you might give it a try in ASP 11. I imagine some properties will change though, and point placement will probably be very different.

Hopefully, somebody with more experience with third party vector programs and ASP 11 will pop in with more useful info.