Welding strokes without round caps?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

PillarAngel

Welding strokes without round caps?

Post by PillarAngel »

I'm trying to make a simple character using just strokes for arms and legs. Currently I'm trying to use strokes of different colors as an arm and a sleeve similar to this:

I'm aware that you can disable round caps in advance style settings, but when I join the two strokes a round cap is automatically created.

Is it possible to split the color of a stroke without a round cap? I rather not use a shape with a fill if I don't have to.

Greenlaw

Re: Welding strokes without round caps?

Post by Greenlaw »

You mean like this?:

Just select the first two points, make a stroke shape (the black one), then select the next to points and make the second stroke shape (blue). This allows you to have 'non-round' end caps for both shapes. The two shapes will animate as if they were a single continuous shape because they share the same path.

Depending on your Style settings when you create the shapes, you may need to manually disable the round caps option for one or both shapes.

Cute character by the way. :)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Bonus round: This way, it's also possible to apply different line weights for each segment along the path. This could be handy if you want the character's sleeve to fit larger around the arm.

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I was testing this too and there's an issue (and a workaround, fortunately). When the point connecting the two strokes is not smooth -by being sharp or having the bezier handles broken- the stroke automatically gets a round cap, even when the Round caps option is unchecked.
So, if you want a sharp corner there with no round cap, you need to create a "Smooth curve", but adjust its value to a number very close to zero, like 0.001. That way, the line will look sharp, but "technically" it will be Smooth.
The result is not the best, but at least it's good to know it's not impossible to get it.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Wow. I tried this out earlier, but I had sharp corners enabled and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get it to work. Nice workaround, Victor.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Good call Victor! I wasn't aware of that limitation. Thanks for posting the workaround solution.

@PillarAngel, yeah, I don't blame you for not wanting to use a regular 'volume' shape for the arms. A while back I had to create a character that had 'tube' arms but I had to use segmented rectangles for the arms. I don't remember exactly why I had to do that but it probably had to do with the looks we got when Image Texture was applied to single stroke shape vs a filled shape. Anyway, I had to create two different rigs for the arm, one with a bone chain so I could use the Sketch Bone tool to make irregular poses, and a two-bone rig for 'normal' bends. I used a variant of Victor's rubber hose technique for the two-bone version but because I was using filled shapes, it was a bit of a pain to set up and editing the Smart Bone Action to curve it properly was tedious. The end result looked great but when I was asked to modify the Acton later, it was not trivial. I think if I had to make that again, I'd try harder to get the single stroke version to look the way we needed it to look.

(I'm not sure if that's possible though; need to revisit this problem when I have time.)

Edit: Ok, I remember now. The difference was that I needed to render the arms exactly as they were painted in Photoshop, and it was not possible to get the same organic edge deitals if I used a Stroke only shape and Image Texture. The vector shape I had to edit was actually a warp mesh for the Photoshop arm images.

With clean-edged solid color arms, I don't think you'll need to worry about that though. :)
PillarAngel

Post by PillarAngel »

@Greenlaw @Victor Paredes Wow its a wonder why I didn't try this myself. xD

Thanks for the help guys! Bummer it doesn't work too well for sharp curves, but the arms I'm using are noodly, so it'll do just fine!

@Greenlaw Yeah its mostly due to I'm still kinda new to the program and its just easier. Probably will use fill shapes in the future, but from your explanation of your experience, glad there is still a bit you could do with a single stroke. :D

Also that cat image I showed is not my creation lol. Its a character from a game on Steam called Night in the Woods. Just used it as an example. :P
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Okay, thanks for pointing me to a fun looking game then. Will check it out. :)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I'm glad this topic came up. I actually had to deal with this today, and the situation described by Victor would have tripped me up if I hadn't seen this thread. :D