Replicate After Effects puppets

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Rnoir

Replicate After Effects puppets

Post by Rnoir »

Whenever I work with characters with really thin limbs, the regular usage of bones doesn't make the character's animation in question look all that right. I find the sharp flexing of a really thin limb to look rather broken, so in those cases I would love to make the limbs look much more rubbery and loose with no defined joint like you can do in After Effects by just placing a puppet on each end of the limb and animating those instead of bones.

My question is: is there a way to replicate the effect that you can achieve with After Effects puppets in MOHO?
jahnocli

Re: Replicate After Effects puppets

Post by jahnocli »

Sure. Here's one way from Victor Paredes:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cjdz4zqifhmi3 ... .mp4?raw=1
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I asked a similar question a few months ago here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20410&p=174470&hilit=noodle#p174470

Victor's tutorial uses vectors but I needed to do this at work using bitmap images. I basically followed Victor's example but had to use custom meshes for the image, which was a little tricky because I had to re-shape the meshes in an Action specifically for the bends. It was worth it though: the rig worked out very nicely. If you're interested, I'll see if I can re-create that example in tutorial.

(Actually, I thought of another approach shortly afterwards. It I can remember it, I'll try it out and post the result.)
Rnoir

Post by Rnoir »

jahnocli wrote:Sure. Here's one way from Victor Paredes:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/544 ... torial.mp4
Greenlaw wrote:I asked a similar question a few months ago here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20410&p=174470&hilit=noodle#p174470

Victor's tutorial uses vectors but I needed to do this at work using bitmap images. I basically followed Victor's example but had to use custom meshes for the image, which was a little tricky because I had to re-shape the meshes in an Action specifically for the bends. It was worth it though: the rig worked out very nicely. If you're interested, I'll see if I can re-create that example in tutorial.

(Actually, I thought of another approach shortly afterwards. It I can remember it, I'll try it out and post the result.)
Oh, yeah. I forgot to tell that the character in question that I made was done out of layer images on photoshop rather than vectors. The rig done by Victor there works like what I would want to achieve with my character, but I just don't have a clue about how to achieve it with images.
Thanks in advance if any of you have a tip about how to do it.