Help with simple reference layer

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

vealti

Help with simple reference layer

Post by vealti »

I'm not having any luck using a simple reference layer. Following the beginning of this https://www.animestudiotutor.com/layers ... ce_layers/ I've made a circle shape and made a reference. I can change the color of the fill and stroke of the original and have it affect the reference. But translating the circle or moving the points of the original has no impact on the reference. Tried it on Anime 11 and Moho 12. What am I missing here?
Greenlaw

Re: Help with simple reference layer

Post by Greenlaw »

I think I know what's happening in your scene: Check the transform channels in the Reference and hover your mouse over the channels. Does it say 'Not Referenced'? If so, right-click on each 'Not Referenced' channel and choose Sync Channel To Original. This should open the channel so it can be controlled by the original again.

The 'Not Referenced' message normally means you have made keyframes on this channel so the original shouldn't modify it. If you sync the channel and you have intentionally made keyframes on that channel, those keyframes will be replaced.

However, there is a random bug that 'locks' random unused channels and prevents them from being updated by the original, even if you haven't created any keyframes for that channel in the reference. The only way to work around this is to manually sync these 'locked' channels.

This is a problem we run into from time to time, but I'm not sure what triggers it or if there's any way to prevent it, just how to fix it when it does happen.

Hope this helps.
vealti

Post by vealti »

Thanks for the reply. I do get a Not Referenced for Point of Motion and Selected Point Motion when I hover over the channels. But when I Sync Channel to Original the reference layer returns to the same position and shape as the original. So it looks like there is only one layer since the reference is sitting on top of the original. As long as the two layers are at the same position I can edit the original and it will all edit the reference layer. But as soon as I move or edit a point on the reference layer by itself, say move it so it is next to the original layer, it looses the reference connection.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

If you need to reference point motion, use layer translation to separate it from the original.
vealti

Post by vealti »

Thank you! This was driving me crazy why I couldn't get it to work. I was using the Transform Points tool to separate the shapes instead. It's always the little things...