Use actions as reference for other actions independently

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Rnoir

Use actions as reference for other actions independently

Post by Rnoir »

I'm working on an animating this flying creature with bones and meshes. I already animated a flight cycle for the wings in the "Flight (wings)" action, and now I want to do the same for the body in a separate action called "Flight (Body)". I need the reference of the wings moving in order to animate the body accordingly, yet once I'm done with the body animation, I want to leave in that action only the body animation and get rid of the wings animation so I can tweak them separately if I want to make any modification to one action without messing with the other.

¿is there a way to do so? I already tried making a copy of the animation found in "Flight (wings)" action into the "Flight (body)" action, but it's rather difficult to manually erease the animation in each bone and in each mesh corresponding to each one of the wings so I can leave the body animation alone.
chucky

Re: Use actions as reference for other actions independently

Post by chucky »

You can make a new action and copy or cut paste the keys into the new action.
I do this stuff often for walks and the like where I separate arm and leg movements.

I love the creature so far :)
Rnoir

Post by Rnoir »

chucky wrote:You can make a new action and copy or cut paste the keys into the new action.
I do this stuff often for walks and the like where I separate arm and leg movements.

I love the creature so far :)
Well thank you!
I mean, sure, I can copy the animation of the wings that I want for reference into the action in which I will animate the body. The question is how I get rid of the wings animation in that action since when I'm done I want to have the body animation and the wings animation separated, each one in a different action (I could remove the keyframes of each bone and each mesh linked to each wing, but I guess there has to be an easier way than that).
chucky

Post by chucky »

JUst make different versions, I guess. One with wings ,one with just wings, just body etc.
You can combine them or use the independent actions. delete bone keys from the duplicates of the original.
Unless I am misunderstanding what you want to do.