Exercise 1.2 does not work.

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

toymaker1

Exercise 1.2 does not work.

Post by toymaker1 »

Hello.
I am learning Moho Pro 12 on an iMac osx 10.12.4. After numerous attempts, I cannot achieve the expected result in Tutorial 1.2 in the Moho tutorial manual. I cannot work out what i am doing wrong. - The hill just wont fill with a gradient fill. Does anyone have any advice?
jahnocli

Re: Exercise 1.2 does not work.

Post by jahnocli »

Whenever I have trouble with something like this, I go back to basics.
Forget about hills. Start a new file (File | New)
1. You will have a default vector layer titled Layer 1. Select the Draw Shape tool or hit S on the keyboard
2. You will see some icons appear over the main window: Rectangle, Oval, Triangle, Star, etc. Select the Rectangle.
3. Make sure the "Auto Fill" box is checked.
4. Draw the rectangle. The default is a white fill with a black stroke around it (if you selected Auto Stroke as well)
5. In the Tool menu on the left hand side, in the "Fill" section, there is a little icon that looks like a pointer next to a kidney
-- this is the Select Shape tool. Select that (or hit Q on the keyboard).
6. Over on the right-hand side is a Style menu. The top 4 items are Fill, Stroke, Width and Effect. You want Effect.
-- The Effect should be set on <plain>. Click on the down arrow next to it. You'll see a number of options. You want Gradient
7. Click that and a "Gradient" callout box should pop up. There's a number of different gradient types. The default is Linear, white to black.
8. Click OK, and you should have your gradient. A vertical bar with a circle at each end will appear. This allows you to manipulate the gradient in a number of different ways.
Hope this helps.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Since you're a new user, there are probably a few things that may seem confusing.

First, are you sure you have the shape selected with the Shape Selection tool? Note that there are two selection tools: Select Points and Select Shape. Selecting the points of the path is not the same thing as selecting the shape. You can tell when a shape is selected when you see a red bounding box (Advanced mode) or an ugly checkerboard fill pattern (Standard mode). (I prefer the red box myself--it allows you to see the actual fil inside the shape while you edit it.)

If you're certain you have the shape selected, the Style menu should affect that shape and any other selected shapes. If the path or the points of the path are selected instead, Style does not affect the shapes attached to that path. You select the path/points with Select Points when you want to edit the geometry or create a new shape. You use Select Shape when you want to change the visual or renderable properties of the shape.

(Why are these separate tools? Trust me, this makes a lot more sense when you're constructing and rigging more complicated elements later. For example, a single path can actually contain many separate shapes that just happen to share the same path or parts of that path.) :)

If you still don't see the gradient after applying the effect to your selected shape, is it possible that you have Fill or Shape Effects preview disabled under the Display Quality list? That's found in the lower right corner of the Workspace.
Candela1

Post by Candela1 »

Hi, everyone,
I have a problem with the next exercise
"Tutorial 1.3: Drawing Complex Shapes"
I can't fix together the first curve with the second one. When I try to drag the last point the clouds don't became an object.
can you help me? thanx
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I don't have the exercise in front of me but it sounds like you need to Weld the points.

If the points are near each other, just press Enter. This works when you're on Transform Points or Add Points.

Otherwise, enable Auto-Weld in the Tool Properties and then drag one point on top of the other. Like the above, it's available only when you're using the Transform Points or Add Points tool.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Or...if the points are welding and you don't see a shape, it may be that you have Auto-Fill disabled.

Alternatively, you can use the Shape Creation Tool with Fill or Both enabled.

Or...you don't have the appropriate display options enabled to view the fill.

Hope this helps.