smart mesh for lip sync problem

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

willwillwill

smart mesh for lip sync problem

Post by willwillwill »

This may be a silly question but when I use smart mesh to set lip sync it only works half the time, something happens when I put in the audio track. Here in the following video I demonstrate. This is happening when it is in the timeline (not frame zero) and when I set the lip sync it highlights the different layers rapidly as it would be switching back and forth as the audio plays, so it's registering. The problem is the mesh stops dragging the image around and it has happened enough times so I know I am simply doing something silly.
Thanks, the link to the video is below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xbyk4uJLok
synthsin75

Re: smart mesh for lip sync problem

Post by synthsin75 »

After duplicating your layer setup, with a smart mesh grouped for each image and assigning an audio layer to the switch, I'm not seeing the problem here.

If you're animating the smart meshes, it will only show where it is keyframed on the timeline.
Maybe my computer is too fast to see it, but Moho12 doesn't select through the layers when keyframing a switch after assigning the audio here.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Are all the image layers linked to the mesh?
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
willwillwill

Post by willwillwill »

Hey
Ok I have isolated the problem, or what's happening and I am not sure how to fix it.

Sometimes with some rigs I do everything as I have shown you and what happens is this: I double click on the layer, then go to switch then select the name of the audio clip from the drop down s.
THEN I hit play and go back and the layer switch is assigned to 'none'. so each time I select it it basically won't stay selected. I have made another video to demonstrate what I mean if that helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9l5BiYXYRo
Thank you again for getting back. I basically think there is something stupid i am either doing or not doing or doing incorrectly and I have not been able to sort out what.
willwillwill

Post by willwillwill »

Holy crap I just figured it out but it gives me a new question.

When I use the box that moves a shape around tool, sorry the transform layer tool it moves three different heads out, they were all on top of each other. I made three different faces and all I was seeing was the one on top.
So basically I have three switch layers within one bone layer for the head, one for the mouth, one for one eyebrow and one for the other eyebrow. They are all covering each other. How can I sort this out?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Assigning audio writes keyframes to the switch layer, so there's no need to keep track of it beyond that...which is why the drop down then says 'none'.

You can either crop the images (externally or internally) or use individual, smaller smart meshes to crop them.
willwillwill

Post by willwillwill »

Aha. Ok I bet that will fix it. Thanks so much I will try it when I get home tonight.
Thanks for your help