Problem with point binding

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

will_f

Problem with point binding

Post by will_f »

I have a problem with points bound to a bone moving in an odd way. This is illustrated in the MP4 posted below.

The screen cap on the right shows the bone in question. The points in the brow layer should rotate on the bone selected (the red bone in the screen cap). Instead they rotate in an odd way, as you can see from the video.

At first I thought it might be because of a problem with layer origin, as DueyFTW wrote about recently here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30204

The "brow ridge" layer which contains the points did not seem to have an origin in the right place, so I placed the origin manually in the same place as all the other layer origins, in the middle of the screen. This did not seem to make a difference. The shape in question (point bound to the bone) still rotates as seen in the vid.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
dueyftw

Re: Problem with point binding

Post by dueyftw »

Where is the origin of the bone and dose it have any bone strength?

Dale
will_f

Post by will_f »

All bone strengths are set to zero, now. (Though one bone had strength set at one. You could probably tell from the way the gradient in the eye moved. Anyway, now they are all set to zero).

The problem started when I split the brow ridges off from their original shape on the skull layer and put them onto new layers, one for each ridge, left and right.

The points on the new layers were rotating on the layer origin, and not the origin of the points -though I used the point binding tool and not the layer binding. I also went in and used "release layer and points" to free up the points, then rebound them using the point bind tool, to make certain I had bound them correctly. Still rotating on the layer origin.

So, I made a copy of the brow ridge shapes, and put them back on the skull layer, and rebound them a 3rd time, they now rotated on the point origin like they should, and not the layer origin.

I am not certain why the points would rotate on the layer origin on one layer and rotate on the point origin on another layer, but as long as the shapes stay on the skull layer, they rotate on the point origin. When put on their own layer, they rotated on layer origin instead.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I'm glad you worked it out.

Sometimes the program doesn't work the way you would expect. The origins of layers or bones for the most part isn't an issue in Moho. Toonboom relies on them, but Moho can have problems also. The release should have fixed the problem. I don't know why it didn't.

Dale
will_f

Post by will_f »

Thanks for the help.

I thought perhaps the problem came about because I had cut and pasted the points onto their new layer, then used "create shape" on the points in their new layer, instead of `creating' the shape on the old layer first, then moving it to the new one.

But it doesn't seem to make a difference in which order it's done. Anyway it's working now, so thanks.