AnimeStudio older version - dl

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

superon

AnimeStudio older version - dl

Post by superon »

maybe more of a "where do i" than a "how do i". a little background first:
i bought a "hard-copy" disc for the Anime Studio pro 8 on mac and have used it for years, my mac now doesn't have a disc reader and i need to reinstall the software due to a unplanned recent wipe event.
so i suppose my question at least for now is where can i find this?
thanks

note: support said they don't support that version anymore and that as i own a hardcopy i'm not eligible for a digital dl, also i should dl the new version but i'm concerned about 3 major points
1- if it costs money it would very likely be more than i can afford.
2- it might not even work for my OS (10.10.5 at the mo' but thinking about an upgrade)
3- from reading a little about the new version i'm not convinced that the masking problems apparent in 8.0 haven't returned
4- one more thing, as i've been working with version 8 for so long i'm not sure i'd be able to easily learn the quirks of a newer release
thought of another question so will insert, is it backward compatible so i can work on files created with version 8 or indeed any older version?

one more note: i’ve had a go at finding this online and found somewhere that seems to have it but upon dl seems to be either a different version or for windows:(

one more question. could i create a .dmg of the disc on another mac and successfully import it to use, if not would another route work?

one more thanks, at least for this post... thanks
anticipating success but ready to start with failure
Greenlaw

Re: AnimeStudio older version - dl

Post by Greenlaw »

If you know anybody that has a computer with a CD drive, you could probably have them pull the installer from that CD and send it to you. I don't think the installer requires the CD's structure to run.

If there are multiple directories on the CD, just have them archive the whole thing.
superon

Post by superon »

Greenlaw wrote:If you know anybody that has a computer with a CD drive, you could probably have them pull the installer from that CD and send it to you. I don't think the installer requires the CD's structure to run.

If there are multiple directories on the CD, just have them archive the whole thing.
this is the route i've been thinking i'll probably have to take, just thought for now it'll be simpler and quicker, if there's another way, to ask here first bc i have another mac maybe capable of this but i need to find the cables and adapters and that might take a few days...
thanks, i'll get back when done

i did try to instal by just copying an old version of the main "app icon" but that produces what is maybe best described as an "empty shell", the app loads but has no available options after the serial key is input:/
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hmm. That does sound like you'll need to create an image of the CD like you first thought then.

Or find somebody that still has a copy of the v8 Installer that had been downloaded. I don't think there's any legal issue here since you have your own serial number for it. (Sorry, I don't have that installer myself.)
superon

Post by superon »

finally responding here to keep this up to date with events...

i managed to find the original files and folders but could not rebuild them so that anime studio would accept them, with respects to using the tools:/ after much mangling i gave up and purchased moho 12 hoping this would be the end of it, some points to make here:

importing work from the older version seems v hit and miss, sometime the vectors will simply refuse to fill properly meaning they're useless even as references..

moho 12 crashes a lot, and i mean a LOT, it's crashed at least 10 times in the last half and hour and i've spent about 25 minutes searching/reading/writing in the forums here:/
this is making a 2 hour project last the whole day.

looks like the old masking problems (nobody else has this problem so it must be that you're doing something wrong) with outlines and masks have resurfaced, masks have to be created in a precise order or something for them to appear properly.

referenced layers are good but really slow things down, i had a file that contained maybe 50 referenced layers and moving a bezier curve might take 5 minutes bc of the constant rolling ball whilst it's thinking.

still apparently no way to close a multitude of render windows, best solution appears to be quitting and reopening moho... also annoying alert sound on render is still a thing... 4 versions later.
renders occasionally give completely different results of some layers after editing (not neck the layers that were edited)

glad to see there is finally an option to export as gif, but sad to see it handled so poorly, perhaps I'm wrong with setting this up but it seems to me that the files appear 4x larger file size than they would by exporting pngs into photoshop and creating the animation there, also they appear to have awful colour handling, v pixelated/blocky.
also also i can't find a loop count option.

actions sometimes don't render as they appear in the preview, no doubt this is a lot to do with my understanding of how i should be doing this bc moho seems very picky about exactly how things can be done but i'm finding that performing a headturn and a blink and separate actions to be combined in the timeline will result in the blink being "warped" or something... this should be more intuitive.

glad to see an option to create a folder from selected layers has been added after my request for such an option was poopoo'd as being something that "our users wouldn't find useful" (not a direct quote).

overal the thing i'm most upset about is smithmicros sales technique which appears to me to be roughly: Create Updated version with new features, cease support for older versions, profit. maybe cynical but wondering how long it will be until the owners decide that paying monthly instead of a one -off payment makes more sense from a business pov:/
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

superon wrote: ...the thing i'm most upset about is smithmicros sales technique which appears to me to be roughly: Create Updated version with new features, cease support for older versions, profit. maybe cynical but wondering how long it will be until the owners decide that paying monthly instead of a one -off payment makes more sense from a business pov:/
The instant they do that is the instant I will stop using it.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

jahnocli wrote:
superon wrote: ...the thing i'm most upset about is smithmicros sales technique which appears to me to be roughly: Create Updated version with new features, cease support for older versions, profit. maybe cynical but wondering how long it will be until the owners decide that paying monthly instead of a one -off payment makes more sense from a business pov:/
The instant they do that is the instant I will stop using it.
Same here. I can't budget a monthly fee for every software I need. I can save and prioritize.