looking for proper tutorial

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

karlisss

looking for proper tutorial

Post by karlisss »

hallo!
can someone help me to POINT proper tutorial, cos i dont understand what keywords i need to search in youtube to get answer on this:

A.
I have simple character with MAIN BONE, witch drags around ALL other related bones.
ATM i have LEG bone attached to body, kinetics works etc.
I NEED this:
freely movable around leg bone (not attached to body or attached to body, when i want) but attached to MAIN BONE in a way, that it moves with body no matter what (attached to body or away from body)
atm i can do this only in frame 0, but i need to do this in animation.

B.
Ho to make movable target bone, so i have a leg with target bone, witch would be useable with character, but movable when i moving MAIN BONE?
Lukas

Re: looking for proper tutorial

Post by Lukas »

The manual is a great resource if you need to know Moho's basics and terminology.
Greenlaw

Re: looking for proper tutorial

Post by Greenlaw »

Parenting and targeting are both keyframeable.

I don't normally change parenting of bones within a character but changing the state of state of targets for limbs is something I use often.

For example, if a character leaps into the air, I may sometimes untarget the feet bone and animate the legs using FK, until the character gets near the ground. Then, I'll reposition the feet targets and retarget the bones.

Another example: I don't normally target the arms but sometimes I need to pin the hands to a character's hips. In this case, I'll parent the target bones to the hip or lower torso bone, and enable targeting at the moment the hands touch the hips. Now the character can move around and the hands stay pinned. When I want to animate the arms again, I untarget the hands.

Targeting and untargeting on-the-fly is easy. You need to be in the Parent Bone tool first. Use Alt-Left click to select the bone that you wish to point to a target, and then use Ctrl-Left Click to choose the new target bone. A target change keyframe will be created. To untarget, select the pointing bone with the same command and then use Ctrl-Left Click and click in an empty space. a keyframe will be created for the untargeting.

Dynamically parenting is even easier...it's the same tool but just click directly on the new parent. A keyframe will be created when you parent and unparent the bones.

As for moving all bones in a bone layer together, you might consider adding a master bone. Create a new bone and set the strength zero. Parent your main or root bone to this and any 'loose' bones that are not already parented to anything. Now in animation, when you move this 'master' bone, it will move all the bones together.

Alternatively, you can just animate the bone layer itself, or put the bone layer in a group and animate the group. I usually do the latter because with a group I can set a unique origin for the transformation I need to do (i.e., squash and stretch, rotation, etc.) If I need a different origin for a different transformation effect, I just create another group and set a new origin for that group and its transformations. Naturally, you'll want to give each group a logical name so you don't lose track of what each group is doing.

Hope this helps.