...make smooth mouth movements?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Rai López

Post by Rai López »

cribble wrote:30fps should give you enough frames to make everything smooth.
Anyway I'd love that the world STANDARS would work at 60 fps, I know that (in "theory") we can't see that extra frames, yes... but in practice the resuls are INCREDIBLE more smothed and detailed in general and especially for very quick movements. Have you tried it in Moho? It's INCREDIBLE and the best is that don't requires an extra work! Well, as I've said I'd love it :)
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Of course, smooth is not always what you want. I guess it depends on what you want to convey. IMO the "staccato" of a lower frame can have its uses. It has a little less reality and therefore tickles the imagination. It has similarities with the difference between B/W and full color. B/W is more abstract, more imaginative; full color is more real, more down-to-earth.

So I still think that 24 fps is a great frame rate. It is fast enough to create the illusion of life, but not so fast as to give it too much reality. In fact, I sometimes prefer animation on twos over animation on ones, especially if the subject is very imaginative. In Manga animation you sometimes see animation on six's or even on twelves, to give a really alienating or dramatic effect. And it allows you to do a lot of ellipsis (condensing an action in time), which would be hard to do with 60 fps animation on ones.

My 2 cents.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

Jaja, of course... I like all styles too! :) (each one in his point), but the difference is that, talking about animation, with 24 fps you are "limited" to 24 fps or less, and with 60 you always could repeat frames to get the result that you want, more liberty for all tastes ;)