Best way to animate "driver's perspective?"

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Fahim, Distinct Sun, Víctor Paredes, erey, Belgarath, slowtiger

Post Reply
User avatar
stealingfeathers
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:26 pm

Best way to animate "driver's perspective?"

Post by stealingfeathers » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:50 pm

Hello All,

I'd like to know the most effective way to animate this: A moving car will be traveling away from the audience, down a winding road. The POV is from inside the car through the driver's eyes. Right now, I'm experimenting with all 4 cameras to achieve the effect. Is there a better way? Here is a quick sketch that illustrates the general idea:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3lzo3 ... sp=sharing

Thanks,
RR
User avatar
SuperSGL
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:55 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Best way to animate "driver's perspective?"

Post by SuperSGL » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:17 pm

ShoNuff93 does a similar thing driving a car towards the camera with everything moving backwards just reverse the procedure here is the link to the tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PvDgxKZR8o
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren
dueyftw
Posts: 1942
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:32 am
Location: kingston NY
Contact:

Re: Best way to animate "driver's perspective?"

Post by dueyftw » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:25 pm

Rule #1
Don't move the camera!

As your car goes down the road, everything will go past the camera. Don't try to push the camera though the scene. But have the camera not move at all. Have each object grow and pass the front window of the car.

The reason for doing it this way is because you can change the speed and movement of each object. IF you move the camera, everything will move.

Dale
User avatar
stealingfeathers
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:26 pm

Re: Best way to animate "driver's perspective?"

Post by stealingfeathers » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:17 am

Yeah, I hear ya. I kept experimenting after I posted this question and I discovered pretty much exactly what you said. I also messed around with a simulated 3D environment (which I rarely bother with in Moho) and tried to move the camera. That was hopeless. I also thought maybe there was a way to get camera to "follow path" but Moho camera doesn't do that. Like you said, moving the camera just doesn't come across very well.

Thanks for responding Dale.

Renee

dueyftw wrote:Rule #1
Don't move the camera!

As your car goes down the road, everything will go past the camera. Don't try to push the camera though the scene. But have the camera not move at all. Have each object grow and pass the front window of the car.

The reason for doing it this way is because you can change the speed and movement of each object. IF you move the camera, everything will move.

Dale
User avatar
stealingfeathers
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:26 pm

Re: Best way to animate "driver's perspective?"

Post by stealingfeathers » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:20 am

Yeah, this will help. Thanks for the reply!
SuperSGL wrote:ShoNuff93 does a similar thing driving a car towards the camera with everything moving backwards just reverse the procedure here is the link to the tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PvDgxKZR8o
dueyftw
Posts: 1942
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:32 am
Location: kingston NY
Contact:

Re: Best way to animate "driver's perspective?"

Post by dueyftw » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:22 am

stealingfeathers wrote:Yeah, I hear ya. I kept experimenting after I posted this question and I discovered pretty much exactly what you said. I also messed around with a simulated 3D environment (which I rarely bother with in Moho) and tried to move the camera. That was hopeless. I also thought maybe there was a way to get camera to "follow path" but Moho camera doesn't do that. Like you said, moving the camera just doesn't come across very well.

Thanks for responding Dale.

Renee

dueyftw wrote:Rule #1
Don't move the camera!

As your car goes down the road, everything will go past the camera. Don't try to push the camera though the scene. But have the camera not move at all. Have each object grow and pass the front window of the car.

The reason for doing it this way is because you can change the speed and movement of each object. IF you move the camera, everything will move.

Dale
This camera rule is for any computer animation. With other programs it's "Don't move the rendering camera!"
If you have a shot that needs camera movement, make the camera the very last thing you do.

I was in a class and walked out because the teacher was trying to show how to do a fly though with After Effects. She was trying to match a shot and couldn't because she was moving the camera instead of just moving the images past the camera.

Dale
User avatar
stealingfeathers
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:26 pm

Re: Best way to animate "driver's perspective?"

Post by stealingfeathers » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:07 pm

I remember the "no fly-throughs" rule oh-so-many years ago when I was getting my degree in 3D animation. I hadn't yet tackled this type of forward motion on the Z axis (in 2D) and I was struggling to find the best way. I'm learning a lot and making great progress now. My camera hasn't budged. :-)
This camera rule is for any computer animation. With other programs it's "Don't move the rendering camera!"
If you have a shot that needs camera movement, make the camera the very last thing you do.

I was in a class and walked out because the teacher was trying to show how to do a fly though with After Effects. She was trying to match a shot and couldn't because she was moving the camera instead of just moving the images past the camera.
Post Reply