Is this a good way to create a complex dragon?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

w3rew0lfgirl_99

Is this a good way to create a complex dragon?

Post by w3rew0lfgirl_99 »

I am pretty new to anime studio pro and have just started on creating a dragon character. I will be using this character as the base for multiple dragons in my series. I want the dragon to be completely scaled and have a neck and tail that can turn tightly into S shapes. I would like my rig to move as much as possible and possibly do a 360 rotation. So far I have created 3 different scale types and then referenced them onto the body. That way I can easily change the color and highlights on the scales. How ever I am not sure this is the best way to do this. So any advice? Also do I have to click on each vector layer to rig it to the bone? Doing the scales with this method means there are 100s of vector layers. Thanks
Last edited by w3rew0lfgirl_99 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lostmymarbles

Re: Is this a good way to create a complex dragon?

Post by Lostmymarbles »

I've had a look , it's nice but looking at the sketches it may be a bit out of proportion on turns . My opinion , build an animation sheet , or copy your model several times and make the changes that way , use a switch layer for each angle. Take apart a gif daffy duck turning his head and you'll see how many views are in it ,head front to side is more than 3 models . If you are using that many layers in your dragon it has to be a switch layer to switch between views.

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/473300242065606293/
Take a look at these for inspiration . :idea:

Don't forget if you use switch layers for mouths, eyelids ,etc _Space bar_ for rigging ! And yes you need to rig each vector to the bones , you can be a little flexible on the wings and use bind points without selecting all of them that will give them a different characteristic
Everybody shoot me ....
w3rew0lfgirl_99

Re: Is this a good way to create a complex dragon?

Post by w3rew0lfgirl_99 »

Lostmymarbles wrote:I've had a look , it's nice but looking at the sketches it may be a bit out of proportion on turns . My opinion , build an animation sheet , or copy your model several times and make the changes that way , use a switch layer for each angle. Take apart a gif daffy duck turning his head and you'll see how many views are in it ,head front to side is more than 3 models . If you are using that many layers in your dragon it has to be a switch layer to switch between views.

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/473300242065606293/
Take a look at these for inspiration . :idea:

Don't forget if you use switch layers for mouths, eyelids ,etc _Space bar_ for rigging ! And yes you need to rig each vector to the bones , you can be a little flexible on the wings and use bind points without selecting all of them that will give them a different characteristic
Thank you for your response. Switch layers are a good idea because it is really complex. Also thank you for pointing out the bad proportions. I will be working on that. After I get something close to what I need, I will have someone else tweak it. I think it may be above my art skill.