How do I make a flowing hair with Physyc?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

voltus55

How do I make a flowing hair with Physyc?

Post by voltus55 »

Hello, does anyone know how to make flowing hair with physic in Moho?
so the hair will affected by the wind...

any tutorial about this outside?

Thanks.
synthsin75

Re: How do I make a flowing hair with Physyc?

Post by synthsin75 »

There is no wind in Moho. Hair physics is usually done with dynamic bones.
voltus55

Post by voltus55 »

synthsin75 wrote:There is no wind in Moho. Hair physics is usually done with dynamic bones.
Oh, theres no wind, Thank you for your fast answer.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

It's not physics, but I always use this technique:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=22681
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
voltus55

Post by voltus55 »

Víctor Paredes wrote:It's not physics, but I always use this technique:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=22681

Hey Victor, Thanks you for your clue, I already watched it long time ago.
just wondering if is there's a way to make a flowing hair like you do in Creating a wave using simple particles here, viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30306&p=172756#p172756
especially for animating a growing hair, lets say, beard grows or hair grow and affected by the wind without make a lot key frame.

Sorry for mention other Software like creature, they have motor and cycle that affected by the wind.

is there's a plan for MOHO will build that kind of feature on the next future version?

Thank You for your answer, i always amazed how you find some way for making a great stuff with Moho/Anime Studio :D
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

My preference is to use the Sketch Bones tool for flowing and wavy animations. I use it all the time to make things wave, like hair, tails, snakes, rope, underwater plants, etc. (It's especially useful for long tails.)

For looping 'wave' animations (like wind blown hair) I find it helpful to not make too many keys and to make sure every bone in the chain is getting a keyframe. This makes it easier to edit and retime...this generally results in much smoother waves too.

For hair, I've used multiple bone chains for separate locks of hair. This can get complicated but it helps to color code the bones in the strands. Using 'Shy' to hide bones helps too, although I wish Moho had a more convenient way to manage that.

Using a 'Design Mode' hot key also helps a lot when you need to make bone chain selections for hair, tails, tentacles, etc.

Edit: one example that comes to mind is Norge Gindlefist's hair in that All Hail King Julien episode I mentioned a while back. Norge's long-ish hair seems to always be blowing in the wind, even when there's no wind. :) I think I had at least three bone chains in his hair in those scene, which were animated with Sketch Bones and looped.
voltus55

Post by voltus55 »

Greenlaw wrote:My preference is to use the Sketch Bones tool for flowing and wavy animations. I use it all the time to make things wave, like hair, tails, snakes, rope, underwater plants, etc. (It's especially useful for long tails.)

For looping 'wave' animations (like wind blown hair) I find it helpful to not make too many keys and to make sure every bone in the chain is getting a keyframe. This makes it easier to edit and retime...this generally results in much smoother waves too.

For hair, I've used multiple bone chains for separate locks of hair. This can get complicated but it helps to color code the bones in the strands. Using 'Shy' to hide bones helps too, although I wish Moho had a more convenient way to manage that.

Using a 'Design Mode' hot key also helps a lot when you need to make bone chain selections for hair, tails, tentacles, etc.

Edit: one example that comes to mind is Norge Gindlefist's hair in that All Hail King Julien episode I mentioned a while back. Norge's long-ish hair seems to always be blowing in the wind, even when there's no wind. :) I think I had at least three bone chains in his hair in those scene, which were animated with Sketch Bones and looped.
Thank You Greenlaw for your time and explanation, i should try this method for the sake to achieved smooth wind blowing effect on hair.

frankly i'm very bad for timing logic of a keyframe, either my logic for point binding is terrible too, and that's a real problem for me :)
but once again, thanks, i will try it.
w3rew0lfgirl_99

Post by w3rew0lfgirl_99 »

Greenlaw wrote:My preference is to use the Sketch Bones tool for flowing and wavy animations. I use it all the time to make things wave, like hair, tails, snakes, rope, underwater plants, etc. (It's especially useful for long tails.)

I am a noob but I think this trick will be very useful to me in the future. : )
Lychee

Post by Lychee »

Hello.

Another trick to create easy flowing hair:

- Do some chain of bones with physic along your hairs.
- Create a smartbone who control the tilting of the root bones.
- In the timeline just move the smartbone in any the direction you want, the physic will do the rest.
- you can also put a noise animation on the smartbone for random effect.

Here is an exemple of what you can do with it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nigfw0y21hy8e ... .moho?dl=0

Best regards.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That's pretty cool! Thanks for sharing the file.
voltus55

Post by voltus55 »

Lychee wrote:Hello.

Another trick to create easy flowing hair:

- Do some chain of bones with physic along your hairs.
- Create a smartbone who control the tilting of the root bones.
- In the timeline just move the smartbone in any the direction you want, the physic will do the rest.
- you can also put a noise animation on the smartbone for random effect.

Here is an exemple of what you can do with it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nigfw0y21hy8e ... .moho?dl=0

Best regards.
Wow Lychee,
it looks very good, thank you for another trick. and your sample file too...great. Thanks!
james123

Post by james123 »

voltus55 wrote:Hello, does anyone know how to make flowing hair with physic in Moho?
so the hair will affected by the wind...

any tutorial about this outside?

Thanks.
Hello voltus55,
You can refer this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu5pmwuLcUs
For more information click here.