higher resolution when rendering

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

cabbage0896

higher resolution when rendering

Post by cabbage0896 »

is there a way to increase the resolution when saving a rendered image? I'm saving as a bitmap which so far has the best results but I need higher quality. is it possible to render an image and have over say 300 dpi on the saved image?
Greenlaw

Re: higher resolution when rendering

Post by Greenlaw »

Moho renders at the pixel dimensions you set in the Project Settings panel. If you need higher resolution for print, you can set it there.

When you're rendering for print and need the image to be at a specific dpi setting, multiply the dpi you want (300 in your case) with the inches you want (say, 18" x 24"), and the result will be your resolution (5400 x 7200). Then enter this resolution in the Project Settings window.

If you render to a PSD file, the dpi can be edited and embedded using image editor like Photoshop. Just open Image Size, disable Resample, and set the dpi you prefer. (300, for example.) Now when you save the file, you'll have your preferred dpi in the file without having altered the original resolution quality. TBH, this step really isn't necessary if you're using a layout program like say, InDesign or if you're printing directly from Photoshop. You can set the print size to what you want, and so long as you're not resampling the image, and it will always print at the full resolution of the image.

(Naturally, if you wish to print the images at a size larger than what you originally calculated above, you'll need to recalculate and re-render. If re-rendering isn't possible, you could use one of those image rescaling programs but this is not the same as re-rendering the image at the proper resolution.)

Getting back to Moho's Project Settings, if there is a 'print quality' setting you intend to use often, I think you can add it as a preset in the Moho settings configs. (You'll have to look for the file and change it using a text editor. Sorry, I'm not exactly sure where this file located--maybe another user here can provide that info?)

That said, I wish Moho made it easier to add my own presets. For example, I would like to add settings that include over-scanning. (Guess I better track down that config file.) :)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Greenlaw wrote:Getting back to Moho's Project Settings, if there is a 'print quality' setting you intend to use often, I think you can add it as a preset in the Moho settings configs. (You'll have to look for the file and change it using a text editor. Sorry, I'm not exactly sure where this file located--maybe another user here can provide that info?)

That said, I wish Moho made it easier to add my own presets. For example, I would like to add settings that include over-scanning. (Guess I better track down that config file.) :)
AFAIK, you can only set custom dimensions and save that as default in the project settings. The user.settings file just contains the currently default dimensions.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Thanks.

I just checked my Moho Pro12.user.settings file but didn't see the default presets there. I guess that's the wrong file. Is there another file I should check?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Ah, I found it:

C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Moho 12\Resources\Strings

Pick the file for your language, and then scroll down to line 1303.

I haven't tested to see if adding a custom preset here will actually work. so edit at your own risk. (Will check it out later myself.)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Greenlaw wrote:Ah, I found it:

C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Moho 12\Resources\Strings

Pick the file for your language, and then scroll down to line 1303.

I haven't tested to see if adding a custom preset here will actually work. so edit at your own risk. (Will check it out later myself.)
I just tried. Had to give that folder edit permissions first, but adding a new line didn't show up in Moho. Back in the day, we use to edit that file to change menu shortcuts, but I don't think Moho ever recognized new, unexpected lines.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Thanks for checking that Wes! :)

I'll submit a request for adding custom presets in the settings window--I really think you should be able to do that.
cabbage0896

Post by cabbage0896 »

these forums are invaluable. I'm impressed, thank you for the response not only can I ask a novice question but I get an answer at a professional level on how to retool my software to answer my question. thanks again. now if I could figure out why the software continues to "stop working" I'll be golden. another day another post
cabbage0896

Post by cabbage0896 »

in response to my post from jan. 2017 I understand the dpi multiplication to increase the dpi for print, does this apply also for rendering to image files? I've found when I render and save as a png, and then use it in my next scene a an image, the resolution is not the same. does the same method apply to increase resolution for an image that I want to use in another Moho scene? Thanks in advance. C
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Nah! Unlike with settings for print publication, DPI is meaningless in Moho (as it is for many video and animation programs.) Whatever dimensions you have set in the output settings is exactly what you're going to get when you render. So, 1920 x 1080 renders exactly 1920 x 1080 pixels...dpi is not a factor.

If you're rendering for print work, multiply the dpi you want by the size of your output in inches. This will give you the pixel dimensions. Then enter this in your Moho project settings. Note that Moho will not save a dpi value to the file; if necessary, you'll need to add that using Photoshop or any image editor meant for print work.

The target dpi may vary depending on the specs of the printing device. Generally speaking, 300 dpi is a safe standard when printing through halftone screens, but with many inkjet printers, 240 dpi or so is plenty because the device may use stochastic dithering instead fo halftones. If applicable, the preferred dpi may also depend on the halftone resolution used by the output device. For example, some really high-end publications will use 400dpi. Of course, any of this assumes the image isn't being rescaled in the page layout program.

Also note that Moho has an output resolution limit of 9000 x 9000. That's actually pretty high...8k is probably the highest I've ever had to render, and that was a rare situation.

Hope this helps.