How Do I Use Multiple Bone Layers Together?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

phantomskyler

How Do I Use Multiple Bone Layers Together?

Post by phantomskyler »

Hi so I'm a bit new to Moho, and have been following rigging tutorials, but have yet to find one that answers a bit of an issue...How to bind multiple bone layers together so the main body rig can move objects with seperate bone rigs (eyes, long hair, ect) while still keeping the individual rigs working.

My example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM-mOePA58A I've been following this eye rigging tutorial to the letter. Near the end it shows that the head rig is seperate from the eye rig. I have the same done with my practice project:

As you can see the eye rigging is separate from the body rig.

and this is the result of when I move the head bone. I have not been able to find a video or tutorial that talks about multiple bone rig layers and how to make them all work together, IE, I can move the head bone and the eyes will follow, but the eye's bone rig will still function when I click on it's layer.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong, and what I need to do to parent different bone layers together? Thanks.
amanandink

Re: How Do I Use Multiple Bone Layers Together?

Post by amanandink »

hey

this should be pretty easy, you just need to layer bind the eye rig bone layer to your heads main bone so that it is attached to it.

j
phantomskyler

Post by phantomskyler »

amanandink wrote:hey

this should be pretty easy, you just need to layer bind the eye rig bone layer to your heads main bone so that it is attached to it.

j
Thank you for responding.

Let's assume I'm very new. Do you have links to any layer binding steps?
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

It looks like one of two things going on here: 1.) The eyes layers aren't bound to the eye bones or 2.) the eye bones layer isn't parented to the head bone.

FWIW, I generally avoid nesting bone rigs inside bone rigs unless they're going to be controlled by Smart Bone Dials at the top level to control the nested bones. There's nothing wrong with it but it can be a hassle during animation to have dig into a nested layer to access a different set of bones. Be sure you're ok with that.

There are several ways to bind the art layers and/or points to the eye bones. I typically use Use Selected Bones For Flexi-binding for each layer. If you have many elements that need to be bound the same bone(s) selection, you can do them all at once this way. Alternatively, you can use the Bind Points tool--this is a pretty rigid binding method but it works well for non-deforming art or specific point selections you want firmly 'locked' to specific bones.

You can also bind the layers directly using the Bind Layer/Group tool but this can prevent items inside the group from individual binding, so you need to be sure that's what you really want.

There are other ways but the above three are probably the most commonly used.

I suggest using mostly Use Selected Bones For Flexi-Binding most of time, and use the other methods for special situations as they come up. USBFFB is quick to apply and very easy change, and it works exceptionally well for many situations.

But you should also know how the other binding methods differ and how they can do certain things USBFFB can't do. Tip: Experiment with a much simpler scene till you understand how each method differs. Trying to learn with a complicated rigging setup may just get confusing.