isolating body parts from drawings with gimp

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

willwillwill

isolating body parts from drawings with gimp

Post by willwillwill »

Hello
I am also pretty new here so sorry in advance.
I have really scratchy scetchy drawings with pen squigges.
I have figured out how to isolate limbs and body parts from gimp to png into moho. When I import it it is just an image and not a layer and it looks like it wants me to then trace with the add points tool which would be impossible for the amount of detail I have in my shapes, well it would just be like redrawing everything and I was hoping I could start with pen and paper and make those images move. I really only want to animate eyes and mouth in a simple manner and leave the rest as is, how do I just put the image into moho without having to retrace details inside the shape?
Thanks again, really sorry for pestering everyone.
obtusity

Re: isolating body parts from drawings with gimp

Post by obtusity »

If you don't ask, you don't learn (or learn a lot slower).

Moho does image-based animation really well, it is one of its strengths in my opinion.
Use File menu, Import, Image, or drag images onto the working area.

Images are layers (well, one type of layer - with image content instead of vector content), you can almost treat them like finished vector layers.

You have a few choices:
  • You can import separate image "pieces" for each body part, so a separate upper arm image (bicep), lower arm image (forearm), hand image (or multiple hand images for switch animation), like paper cutout animation or shadow puppets, and attach them to a bone layer skeleton for ease of animation
  • You can use bones to deform a single image - works best if parts of the image are not crossing over any other parts.
  • You can use a hybrid approach, such as separate images for the each arm and leg, the torso, etc, and use a skeleton to "bend" an arm image without affecting the torso image. This allows for one image easily crossing over another, such as the arm in front of the torso.
  • You can also use image textures on a vector shape, either static textures or textures that deform with the vector shape, using the vector shapes as a mask for the texture images.
For the first technique, you can simply bind an entire image layer to a bone - see Tutorial 4.1 under the Help menu, Tutorials, to get you started.
For the second technique, see Tutorial 4.2
For the third technique, see Tutorial 3.5
For the last technique, see Tutorial 4.3
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

in moho12 Pro you also have smart warp. This allows you to specify a triangulated vector layer that can be used to warp another vector or image layer.

See “Smart Warp Layers (Pro only)” on Manual page 238
willwillwill

Post by willwillwill »

Nice nice yall thank you so much this is going to be my weekend learning how to do this, I can't wait.
Thanks
Will