Interpolation questions

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Jkoseattle

Interpolation questions

Post by Jkoseattle »

In my short time using Moho I have already found that more times than not-very-many, what I want is an interpolation that starts fast and gets slow. For example, someone throwing an object, so that the top speed of the object is at the beginning of its motion, or perhaps a better example is something which needs to look like it's receding into the background (away from the camera). In this latter example, the scaling of the object needs to decrease much faster at the beginning than at the end of the receding motion for it to look natural (and I am not interested in messing with Z-axes for the sake of this post).

If I simply scale the object smaller using linear interpolation, it looks very unnatural near the end of the sequence, as it scales much too rapidly at that point. What I want is an interpolation that starts very fast and ends very slow. But there isn't such an interpolation option. This seems to me like a glaring omission, but I figure there's some reason why SM deems it unnecessary.

On a semi-related topic, in fussing with this, I was choosing different types of interpolations and then looking at the motion graphs to see what they really do. Pretty useful exercise, but I'm not seeing much significant difference between Smooth, Ease In, Ease Out, and Ease In/Out in the graphs. Is it just really subtle and not that noticeable when looking at the graphs? What am I missing here?
Most of the time I'm doing music stuff. Check me out at http://www.jimofseattle.com/music.

Thing I did for work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgFYGqifLYw
synthsin75

Re: Interpolation questions

Post by synthsin75 »

Use bezier interpolation and adjust the curve in the motion graph.