Import animated GIFS or PSD files??

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Poptoogi

Import animated GIFS or PSD files??

Post by Poptoogi »

What's up guys!
I'm trying to import animated GIFS into AS/MOHO but you can only import one frame. I've also tried converting animated GIFS (I found online) to photoshop files but they will not import as the question mark error comes up when I try. I can save each frame out from photoshop but it's a little time consuming so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. If not, no big deal. Just wondering why converted GIFS won't recognize when importing.
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty! Pause, consider, do! I dare you!
synthsin75

Re: Import animated GIFS or PSD files??

Post by synthsin75 »

You can use this site to split the gif into frames and download as a zip file: http://ezgif.com/split
Then you can import those as an image sequence.

I have a script that splits gifs and imports as an animated image sequence, but I haven't decided whether to release it or not. It's only tested for Windows, and the user has to download/install a third-party program (same program used on that site) to work with it. I have no idea whether it could be made to work on Mac (even if I found someone to help test it), and I'm afraid people could make a lot of mistakes just installing it on Windows. If there's a ton of demand, I may reconsider.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

guyver93 wrote:...I can save each frame out from photoshop but it's a little time consuming....
This is pretty easy and not time consuming at all.

After you open a GIF in Photoshop, choose Render Video (under File>Export) and choose image sequence. This renders out separate image files that you can import using Import: Image Sequence in Moho. (Choose JPG if it's just an animation reference, PNG if it's for rendering in Moho. JPEG will stream faster but PNG will render higher quality.)

I know this works in Photoshop 6 and later but I'm not able to check if it exists in earlier versions at the moment. If Render Video isn't available in your Photoshop, just use the Export Layers To files command (under File>Scripts). This can be pretty slow compared to Render Video, so if it's too slow for you, try the third party version of the script here:

Export Layers To Files (Fast)

This one works super fast by comparison. It's what I like to use when breaking down a complicated character PSD to PNG for Moho.

For GIF to image sequence export, however, Photoshop's Render Video is probably the easiest and fastest method.

Hope this helps.
Poptoogi

Post by Poptoogi »

Thank you both!!!
Both suggestions work well but the photoshop process works a little better as I can resize the sprites to be really large and show up well in MOHO. The online convert can resize but doesn't keep the artwork looking like pixels. Still, an amazing resource that I have to play with more!! Thanks again guys! :)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty! Pause, consider, do! I dare you!