Adding Target Bone to existing Rig issue

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Little Yamori

Adding Target Bone to existing Rig issue

Post by Little Yamori »

Hey All,

Using ASP 11.2, had a rig set up and just decided after it was created to add target bones to the feet, tried both parented and un-parented (have used Target Bones before in another similar Rig but rigged the Targets in that creation from the outset, with no issues), but for some quirky reason the software is freaking out on frame zero when I added the targets to this rig, so when I merely touch the rig's handle bone using the translate bone tool the whole rig instantly distorts and flips into weird positions. It goes back to normal on frame 1 and after, but the targets bones then do nothing in the timeline, and sometimes displace themselves.

Just wondering if anyone's had something like this go on before. It's a complicated rig, so I won't start over from scratch, may just have to make due without using this feature, but would sure be nice to figure out how to correct it.

Thx,

LY
synthsin75

Re: Adding Target Bone to existing Rig issue

Post by synthsin75 »

I'd have to see an example file.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Things I look for when a rig "misbehaves":

double check parenting across the whole rig
what are the bone strengths (on the target bones)?
(how) are points / layers bound to bones?
is the bone layer set to region or flexible binding?
are there bone rotations that are "illogically" defaulted to such as 360 (rather than 0)?

but if none of those ideas help - just as synthsin says -- we'd need to see the rig
Little Yamori

Post by Little Yamori »

Thanks for the responses.

I'll run through Hayasidist's list to see if there is one of those points that I screwed up. But if I can't find it, how can I get you guys the file?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Upload it to a file hosting site, like Dropbox or FileDropper, and then post (or PM) the link here.
Little Yamori

Post by Little Yamori »

Thx
Little Yamori

Post by Little Yamori »

I found a clue.

Was working on a similar character rig and the target bones worked as they should, but upon adding my 6th rather involved smartbone, all of the sudden the target bones completely stopped working as in the original issue for this post. To test my suspicion, I saved the new character file under a different name and deleted all the smartbones, Low and behold, the targets started to work in the rig again. So I think I overloaded the software's ability to handle all the info I was creating if this makes any sense.

Hope this might provide some insight
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Little Yamori wrote:I found a clue.

Was working on a similar character rig and the target bones worked as they should, but upon adding my 6th rather involved smartbone, all of the sudden the target bones completely stopped working as in the original issue for this post. To test my suspicion, I saved the new character file under a different name and deleted all the smartbones, Low and behold, the targets started to work in the rig again. So I think I overloaded the software's ability to handle all the info I was creating if this makes any sense.

Hope this might provide some insight
There is no such "overload". Most likely you created conflicting smart bone actions.
Little Yamori

Post by Little Yamori »

synthsin75 wrote:There is no such "overload". Most likely you created conflicting smart bone actions.
When you say conflicting smart bone actions, does that mean the conflict has to be directly with the target bones? The targets are on the feet only, while at this point all the smartbone actions are in the face and head, plus one that slightly adjusts the shoulders, so the targets are not involved in the smartbone actions.

LY
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

There are many ways user error could lock up parts of a rig, and when smart bones are involved these issues can be hard to track down unless you're very familiar with how everything works. Without seeing a file, there's no way I can guess at what you have done or where the problem may be.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Just to be sure, when you look at the other Smart Bone Actions, check that there are no keyframes set on any of the leg or target bones. Sometimes that sort of thing catches me off guard, even when I might swear there are no keys there.

Also, check that another bone in the leg chain isn't also pointing at the target bone--normally you only want one bone in a chain pointing at a target (usually the lower leg) so, unless having more than one bone pointing at the target is intentional, it might have unexpected behavior. I found something like that in a rig the other day that was doing odd stuff.
Little Yamori

Post by Little Yamori »

Greenlaw wrote:Just to be sure, when you look at the other Smart Bone Actions, check that there are no keyframes set on any of the leg or target bones. Sometimes that sort of thing catches me off guard, even when I might swear there are no keys there.

Also, check that another bone in the leg chain isn't also pointing at the target bone--normally you only want one bone in a chain pointing at a target (usually the lower leg) so, unless having more than one bone pointing at the target is intentional, it might have unexpected behavior. I found something like that in a rig the other day that was doing odd stuff.
Thanks Greenlaw, I actually just sent to the file to synthsin75 and he found the solution which was exactly as you just described, I had a SB head turn that somehow created leg bone movement keyframes that made the whole thing go nuts. Thanks for the response. This forum really helps so much.

LY