Smart bone conflict?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

SuperSGL

Smart bone conflict?

Post by SuperSGL »

I have two smart bones for a simple head 1. turn left & right 2. up & down when I use together for an animation the point go astray the nose was edited via points to animate the turn. How can I get these working together?
using Moho 12 pro
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
synthsin75

Re: Smart bone conflict?

Post by synthsin75 »

Does it help any to expand the point motion channel to show separate axises and delete the keys for the unneeded axis in each SB action?
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

No, that didn't work. It just seems to be the nose I created a solid shape and hide strokes to get a side nose. To move it from side to side I actually flipped it and moved points. Tried (just now) just flipping, but still warps way out of shape. I think the design of the nose is wrong maybe if I use stroke exposure so I get a better front view as it turns and the points won't have to move so much. ?
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

SuperSGL wrote:No, that didn't work. It just seems to be the nose I created a solid shape and hide strokes to get a side nose. To move it from side to side I actually flipped it and moved points. Tried (just now) just flipping, but still warps way out of shape. I think the design of the nose is wrong maybe if I use stroke exposure so I get a better front view as it turns and the points won't have to move so much. ?
Flipping the nose points won't look good unless you make head turn fast. DKWRoot wrote a script that will mirror the points properly rather than flip.

To expand on what synth mentioned, it's hard to predict the interactions of two smart bones, but it's easier if you restrict movement in one axis per SB. For example, one SB for the mouth can be open/close (y-axis) and another wide/narrow (x-axis).

Stroke exposure for a nose turn is quite feasible:

See Funksmaname's tip on using the alt-key in this thread Animate Hide Edge / Line (workaround)
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

I already did something similar ( I remembered seeing that post) The up and down was working but changing the left to right seemed to change the up and down again after going back and forth I got a reasonable turn in both directions. Im using a very cartoony nose and the turn gives it a flopping look which works for me. Thank you for the post it was very helpful.
Norman McLaren

My Animations