Using bones as rig controls in Debut? Possible, right?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DanoComedy

Using bones as rig controls in Debut? Possible, right?

Post by DanoComedy »

Hey everyone,

I'm a new user; just purchased Debut 12 last week. From the Debut website, I thought it looked great, so I bought it after seeing that you can create complex cut-out rigs and use bones as rig controls. AWESOME.

So, based on the Smith Micro Debut website, there is a pink monster that shows this, which was the big factor that convinced me to buy Debut, but after looking around the documents and samples, it doesn't seem possible, even though the Debut website shows this rig as a sample. (I've attached screen capture of the feature I'm referring to, below).

How is this done and can it be done in Debut 12? The website implies that it can, so I'm hoping I've just missed it in the docs or samples.

sillyanimate

Re: Using bones as rig controls in Debut? Possible, right?

Post by sillyanimate »

"Using bones as rig controls"

You must be talking about smartbones, sadly that is a feature only available in Moho Pro.

You can always use morph dials instead for head turns and eye blinks,etc. Setting up keyframes might be a little tedious but its possible.

Edit: Sorry, I realized you can't do any actions in Moho Debut, neither normal or morphs.

But Debut can read files containing smartbones
Last edited by sillyanimate on Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't forget! No one is perfect!
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

That is only talking about bone rigging, which is available in Debut. Just because it shows a picture of smart bones does not mean you can create smart bones. In Debut, you can't create actions of any kind, including smart bones. I think you can use actions and smart bones already in a file, so everything in any included content (pictured) can be used.

The site doesn't imply that you can make smart bones in Debut.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Using Debut, you can open and animate characters with Smart Bones (you will find many in the Library), but you can't create new Smart Bones using Debut.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel