Frame by frame and cycles

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

negroclarito

Frame by frame and cycles

Post by negroclarito »

I had this problem using frame by frame layers with cycles.

When I use more than one frame per drawing and want to do a cycle

the software only takes one of two frames and the cycle looks wrong

To solve it I repeat the last frame two times and apply the cycle to the last one...

But is there another way to do it?. It looks like this is a bug.
I like the frame by frame feature but I feel is not well finished
SuperSGL

Re: Frame by frame and cycles

Post by SuperSGL »

I was getting the same thing even following the tutorial I was seeing frm 1 then last frame then frm 2 at the start of every cycle. the tutorial says on the last frame of your animation add a key frame from the menu, right click that key and select your cycle. When I selected the key frame I selected all the keys on that frame (the add key frame added keys for Layer rotation scale etc.) which was wrong just select the key on your animation. I hope that helps even being long winded with my explanation.
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

It's not a bug, but it does take some thinking to handle frame duration. Your solution works good. What I do is copy the first frame of the cycle to the end and then cycle back to the second frame of the cycle, instead of the first. So no matter the frame duration, the extra first frame at the end is counted as part of the first frame's duration, so there's no pause in the timing.
negroclarito

Post by negroclarito »

Thank you for both answers. There's no problem with that but it'll be good fixing it and could choose the number of frames to take in the last frame of the cycle.

Now I'll become more active in this forum and post all things I think can help the software to improve.
I hope don't seem very picky :wink:
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Just wanted to throw in my vote for Wes' method. IMO, this is the easiest method and it insures you get a perfect loop every time. I generally do this when setting up loops in other animation programs too.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

negroclarito wrote:There's no problem with that but it'll be good fixing it and could choose the number of frames to take in the last frame of the cycle.
The hold duration for cycled keyframes does get ignored after the first cycle, so that could stand to be fixed.

I've reported the problem.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Greenlaw wrote:Just wanted to throw in my vote for Wes' method. IMO, this is the easiest method and it insures you get a perfect loop every time. I generally do this when setting up loops in other animation programs too.
Yeah, I think it's best practice to have the everything happening in the keyed cycle visible on the timeline, rather than having the hidden hold duration setting. Might forget that setting if you tweak the cycle later.