Single line with stroke: must it be done in two moves?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Reindeer

Single line with stroke: must it be done in two moves?

Post by Reindeer »

I cant' seem to draw a vector line with a stroke in one move.
Say I create a simple line with the 'add point' tool. Two, or three points. I get a spline of the line but I can't find a way to create it with a stroke as I go along or close it at the end some way so it will know it should have a stroke (even if the 'Auto-stroke' box is checked).
The only way seems to be to 'give it' the stroke with the 'create shape' command every time. Is this the normal procedure or am I doing it wrong?
sillyanimate

Re: Single line with stroke: must it be done in two moves?

Post by sillyanimate »

Normally, I would draw a line with the add point tool, then I would use the paint bucket tool to add the color to the line
I would have the paint bucket tool set to stroke only.

Yes, you have to draw strokes with two moves, add points and adding color separately

I hope that helps
Don't forget! No one is perfect!
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

Well, the bucket solution is another way I didn't know about. Quite similar to 'create shape', I guess.

I admit that being able to see the line 'live', so to speak, as you go along creating it point by point, would be nice. I find the two-step procedure of point-building and then attributing properties just a little counterintuitive. I think I'd rather set properties first and then get on with the drawing without more ado, but I guess that's very subjective.

Thanks!
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

The reason it works this way is that in AS a shape is 'fixed' once it is created/filled. For this reason, if the lines were filled between points as you went along you would end up with each segment being a separate shape... the program doesn't assume to know your intention. Only when you finish a complete shape will auto stroke or auto fill be triggered.

one of the unique things about AS's drawing tools is that you can 'fork' a point into multiple line directions - you can't do this in illustrator and it's extremely useful. Points and lines being separate to their shape and stroke are fundamental to the way AS works.
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

Thank you for that explanation. True, I did notice that fork feature and found it useful. Not seeing the line form as one goes along is a little strange and needs a little getting used to when you come from most other vector drawing, on the other hand ASP's vectors are really fun and flexible once you get to know them, so it's all very well rewarded.