White outlines

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

danielandrus

White outlines

Post by danielandrus »

I'm sure this issue has most likely been talked about already. But after searching for a while i couldn't find a thread addressing it.

Here's an image that explains the outline issue. i'm using a mask so the shirt detail doesn't spill outside the torso. I've encountered this problem several times before. all when using masks. Any ideas?

synthsin75

Re: White outlines

Post by synthsin75 »

Instead of hiding the outline (looks like with point width...maybe including exclude stroke on the mask), you may want to make the torso mask a fill-only shape and reference that layer to use as a stroke-only shape above all the masked-in details.

Or I can take a look at the file.
danielandrus

Post by danielandrus »

I tried a bunch of different things and couldn't sort it out. I sent you the file through PM to see if maybe you can help. Thanks
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

danielandrus wrote:I tried a bunch of different things and couldn't sort it out. I sent you the file through PM to see if maybe you can help. Thanks
I've sent you the fixed file, and it was a little more involved than I described above.

I made a reference of the torso layer and moved it about the torso details. I removed the strokes from the shapes of the torso layer and made the reference shapes stroke-only (and deleted a few of the referenced neck shapes). The step I missed before was to remove the "exclude strokes" from the torso mask (which with the point-width-hidden stroke is what caused the white lines).

I think I left the torso reference as "add to mask", but you can change that to "don't mask" if you like.
sillyanimate

Post by sillyanimate »

The same thing had been happening to me when I opened up anime studio today, it looks good in the workspace but when I render it out those weird outlines occur.

I tried using the reference layer trick to get around it, but nothing works?
Don't forget! No one is perfect!
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

sillyanimate wrote:The same thing had been happening to me when I opened up anime studio today, it looks good in the workspace but when I render it out those weird outlines occur.

I tried using the reference layer trick to get around it, but nothing works?
There's always a solution, even if nothing you've tried has worked.
sillyanimate

Post by sillyanimate »

Actually, someone else helped me out

Here's what I did :

1.In the mask layer, it should be fill only.
2. Make a reference layer of the mask, containing only the strokes
3. Put the stroke-only layer on top of mask

Done!

Don't forget! No one is perfect!
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Yeah, that was me, on the AF. You don't need the stroke-only reference outside of the mask group. It just needs to be the top layer in that group, and set to "don't mask this layer".