Bitmap/raster binding

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Jenk

Bitmap/raster binding

Post by Jenk »

I'm building a character using bitmap layers. I have managed to bind bones by moving my character parts away from each other adding bones and then reassembling the parts and parenting the chains on frame one, big of a work around not wonderful. Now I would like to refine the bindings but point binding and smart bones rely on select points but as I'm using bitmap parts I don't have assess to these. Is there some way of doing this. .?I have tried adding extra bones but this is not that satisfactory. AS claims to be able to use vector or bitmap character but I'm not finding the tool set for working with bit maps. Am I missing something..?
slowtiger

Re: Bitmap/raster binding

Post by slowtiger »

Recommended workflow (which just happens to be the one I'm using):

1. Prepare your character's parts: have a large enough master file (in Photoshop or wherever), if I need close-ups of faces the face must be 1000 px high. Carefully cut out items. Take care to have at least 1 px transparency between item and image border. Save as PNG (if you don't use the PS import).

1a. It's a good idea to keep a complete character about 2000 px high (so you can zoom in to half his body), but have the head in a higher resolution. I choose a factor like 200 or 400% for this, because after importing those large parts into AS I just need to scale their bone layer to 0.5 or 0.25 to have everything fit again.

2. Import that bunch of images at once. Put it into a bone folder, if necessary into sub-bone folders as well. Name everything appropriately. Stack the layers reasonably.

3. Arrange all image layers so they look like your character. Put everything into its exact place.

3a. I only place stuff apart for convenience in case body parts obscure each other, like both legs in a side view. In that case I first build the complete leg where it belongs, then drag it sideways while pressing shift. (You can select several layers at once and do this in one movement.)

4. Add bones.

5. Bind image layers with layer binging if you want that cutout look. Use FlexiBind (default) if you want the images to be deformed. By default image layers have "warp with bones" switched on. Use layer binding for rigid items like props, helmets, skulls.

6. Adjust bone strength. Test with Manipulate Bones tool (Z). Adjust more.

7. Separated limbs now need to go back to their final position with the Offset Bone tool. Grab their top most bone and drag with shift.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Shanty Baba

Post by Shanty Baba »

Slowtiger,
Many thanks for sharing your workflow.
Cheers
Shanty
Jenk

Post by Jenk »

Thank you slow tiger your answer much appreciated.