layer behind other layer but same time infront other

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

skygaz3r

layer behind other layer but same time infront other

Post by skygaz3r »

hello guys!

so i got a problem or i´d better say i don´t know how to do this. edit: i use anime studio 9
i want the text "test test" to somehow come from nowhere, but don´t want to use opacity 0 to 100% or just let it slide in frome the side.
i made a layer "covertest" and actually it´s just a blue rectangle that has the same color as the "bluebackground" and the idea was to simply move the "test test" out of "cover test". i wouldnt have any problems if the background just always had the same colour, but well i want the background to have a little bid of red. so my problem is i want the text "test test" to be behind "covertest" and at the same time be infront of "red". any idea how i could solve this? probably something with masking, but i really aint that good with masking so far ^^, or maybe there is a totally diffrenet way to let my text "test test" appear like this.

thx 4 reading and any advice :)

Last edited by skygaz3r on Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sorry, my english isn't good ;(
slowtiger

Re: layer behind other layer but same time infront other

Post by slowtiger »

Tray to compose your background out of 2 layers. One is plain blue and fills the screen. The other only holds the reddish part of the BG, this layer should have a soft edge, either in the shape, or you simply blur the whole layer. The text layer will fit easily between these two.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
skygaz3r

Post by skygaz3r »

maybe i dont get it, but the problem is not that i dont how 2 make 3 layers and put one layer between them. i need the text layer to be behind that blue rectangle that covers it but at the same time be on top of the red layer, while the red layer is still on top of the blue rectangle that covers the text. because i already got one plain blue layer, one with that reddish part, that text layer and a layer for the rectangle that cover the text at the start.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

You can use Masking.
You need to put the three layers (Test text, Red, CoverTest) inside a group. Then you must double click the group to open its proprieties, go to the Masking tab, select "Reveal all" and apply. Then open each layer proprieties, Masking tab, and apply the options described here:

Group - Reveal all
-> Test Test - Mask this layer
-> Red - Don't mask this layer
-> CoverTest - Subtract from mask

The logic behind this is the rectangle in CoverTest will be subtracted from any layer with "Mask this layer" option activated, but the Red layer will simply ignore the mask, because it has the "Don't mask this layer" option applied.

If you want to add the Arrow to the setup, you must put it inside the group, but also set "Don't mask this layer" for it (at least you want the arrow masked).
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
skygaz3r

Post by skygaz3r »

thank you! totally what i was looking for!