Editing Keyframes for Styles

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Editing Keyframes for Styles

Post by Greenlaw »

Hi,

Yesterday I accidentally keyframed an Effect property in a Style so now this Style has unwanted animation. How do I access the keyframes for a Style property? By default, these keyframes don't appear to show up on the timeline.

Thanks in advance for any help. (I think I may have asked this question before a couple of years ago but I can't for the life of me remember the solution, assuming there was one and I didn't just start over. I did find one other thread on the subject by another user but there was no reply to his question.)

G.
neeters_guy

Re: Editing Keyframes for Styles

Post by neeters_guy »

If you select the style from the Styles pulldown, the keyframe should show up on the timeline. (You may need to highlight the layer that contains the shape with the style applied.) I'm not sure if the Effects are keyframeable, but the Fill and Stroke definitely are.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Yeah, some things in saved styles can be difficult to access the keyframes. Here's how:

1. In the style window, select the problem style from the Styles dropdown at the top.
2. Hit the Copy button.
3. Select none in the Styles dropdown.
4. Make sure there are no applied styles selected.
5. Create a temporary shape and select it.
6. Hit the paste button. (Now you can see the keyframes and fix what you need to)
7. Select this temporary shape and hit the Copy button in the style window.
8. Select the problem Style and hit the paste button.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

@synthsin75, Thank you! so there's at least a workaround for this...and what a workaround! Hopefully, I won't mess up a Style like that again but now I know what I can do to fix it.

@neeters_guy, thanks for the tip! I just tried it and you're right, the main panel keyframes will show up for the current Style when you select the name of the Style again after the change is made. It seems like the keys should show up immediately but selecting the Style a second time does refresh the Timeline for it.

However, this action does not show the keyframes for applied Effects that have keyframes--apparently, Effects are treated as a separate entity from the rest of the Style. (And, yes, Effects are definitely keyframeable--unintentionally keyframing a Style's Shading Effect property is what got me started on this.) :)

G,
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Glad I could help. It took me a second to figure out myself. I looked at this thread and couldn't initially think of how to do it. Luckily it percolated in my head a bit and the solution presented itself.