how do i map a layer to the camera?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

zjjt

how do i map a layer to the camera?

Post by zjjt »

Hi guys i figured this must be pretty simple to do but i cant just get it right on my end.i am trying to emulate the camera or a real camera recording having a vector layer with white lines like a rectangle with a text layer saying "REC" and blinking.i need this layer to behave like it is the camera so that i can emulate the feeling of a hanheld camera properly. How can i achieve that i am using anime studio pro 10....
Also i wish to be able to zoom in and having an "out of focus" effect like all the images or layers the camera is currently facing become all blurry and then come back clearly again how to do that too?

thank you

ZJJT :D
Greenlaw

Re: how do i map a layer to the camera?

Post by Greenlaw »

There's a couple of ways to do that. The direct way in ASP is to create your 'screen graphics' in the top most layer(s) and then open layer property and enable Immune to Camera Movements. This makes the layer 'stick' to the camera even when the camera is animated.

As for graphics settings, try creating a bitmap pattern of white lines against a transparent background in your paint program of choice, and save the image as a PNG with alpha. Select the fill for the rectangle, enable Image Texture, import the image and enable Tile. If you want the white lines to be semi-transparent, you can adjust the transparency of the layer in the layer properties. Make the REC graphic in another layer also locked to the Camera but leave this layer solid.

If you use a compositing program, you can just render your animation as normal and simply add a TV noise filter to the graphic. Many compositing programs like AE or Fusion, and even many editing programs have filters to do this. This is much simpler to do and you can probably get a more realistic effect, if that's important. You'll still need to add the REC graphic as a separate text or graphic layer.

Either method should do what you want. To make it a little sweeter, add a little glow to the top layers.

G.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

The DOF effect can be done by adding blur to the layers below the camera graphics. You can do this in ASP or in a compositing program.

IMO, any effects you with to add to your animation are easier to tweak and faster to render in post, i.e, in compositing or editing. If you don't do this as a post effect, they are certainly doable in ASP--it just takes a bit more time and work to set up and render.

One interesting advantage to doing the effect inside of ASP is that if you set up your layers in 3D, that is with actual z-depth, you can render the DOF effect based on actual distance from camera.

Hope this helps.

G.
zjjt

Post by zjjt »

well thank you..It is exactly as you said...thank you again once my work is done ill post it on the forum and Pm you with it :P
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

BTW, another really good use of the Immune To Camera Movements option is to pin reference images or video footage to the screen.

For example, I typically use this feature to pin storyboard frames for a given scene to the background (bottom most layer,) which I may use to positionally match characters and other elements. This is super handy when the camera is moving all over the place.

Another favorite use of this feature is to import reference footage, scale it down to thumbnail size and pin it in a corner like a PIP. For example, if I position a scene clip from my animatic this way and also import the audio track for the scene, it can assist me as a timing reference.

G.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
zjjt

Post by zjjt »

Well thank you GreenLaw...i am thankful for the grat tips you ve given to me...im using them right now for my fake camera thing and as you said its pretty handy when you need to have a constant reference to what you are animating...again thank you it is really useful