Does point thickness interpolate on switch layers ?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

saintbe

Does point thickness interpolate on switch layers ?

Post by saintbe »

Hi,

I've been playing around with switch layers for the first time and have an issue I cannot resolve.

Interpolation seems to work fine on moving points ... but it doesn't seem to work on the line width (or thickness) of a point.
Please check the movie I uploaded to Youtube ... when the head turns you see on the nose that the line thickness doesn't interpolate... it seems to move the points and when they are on the last keyframe, they jump to the changed thickness ... I was expecting the thickness would also interpolate.

Is this expected ?
Is there a way to solve this with switch layers ?

Please advise,
-Kim.
heyvern

Re: Does point thickness interpolate on switch layers ?

Post by heyvern »

Switch layer interpolation does not support smooth interpolation of point widths.

However you can use smart bones instead.
A smart bone action can control both switch layer and point width at the same time. You would use a smart bone to change your switch layers, then "go inside" the switch layer and add in the point width changes to the smart bone action as well. To be safe add the same point width change to all the switch layers.

-----

Or you could go crazy and change the whole thing and use only smart bones to do the entire turn eliminating the switch layers. This would be a lot more effort.
saintbe

Post by saintbe »

Hi Vern,

Thank you for the advise but I guess I am doing something wrong.

I added the bonelayer, placed all my switch layers in there.
Added a smartbone to control the switchlayers ... which is working nicely if I stay in the action window view... everything interpolates nicely if I go through the timeline while editing the action on the switchlayer or while going inside the switchlayer to change line width.

But when I then use the smartbone in the main timeline, it's as if I lost all interpolation ... it jumps to the endshape when I reach the keyframes with no interpolation at all.

I'll do some more debugging because it believe it's something silly I overlooked.

Thanks,
-Kim.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Smart bones do not interpolate switches.
saintbe

Post by saintbe »

Hi all,

Thanks again for the advise... I was unable to make smooth line width transitions using a combination of smartbones + switch layers as Vern suggested.
I made a quick test with smart bones alone ... leaving out the switch layers.

I still need to add mouth/eyes actions but the turning looks smoother already.

Thanks again,
-Kim.