Smoother background scrolling?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Pinesal

Smoother background scrolling?

Post by Pinesal »

I am trying to make a slowing panning scene of a graveyard but the background looks like it's wiggling or something. This is rendered at 24fps. Would changing the framerate make it looks smoother or is the issue something else?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbaR95Ac8qA&
heyvern

Re: Smoother background scrolling?

Post by heyvern »

In the image layer properties, click on the "image" tab.

At the bottom there is a checkbox for "Higher Quality Render". Check that option and it should smooth out that "wobbly" motion somewhat. I just did a test at various speeds of panning with a vertical grid image and it really helped eliminate the wobble.

However, the slower the panning the worse the problem. I would suggest speeding up the pan just a bit.
Pinesal

Post by Pinesal »

Noted, thanks a bunch. I'll try and report back.

EDIT:!! Actually the background is a textured vector graphic so I don't have that tab in the layer options.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Pinesal wrote:Noted, thanks a bunch. I'll try and report back.

EDIT:!! Actually the background is a textured vector graphic so I don't have that tap in the layer options.
Hmm... I don't have any suggestions for that except to use an image layer instead (with a mask if needed). Basically an image texture is the same as a masked image layer.
braj

Post by braj »

Avoid having so many perfectly vertical lines, that is a big part of it, even before pixel-based screens in film it was a problem (so I have heard, this is advice from Maurice Noble who did classic WB background design. I'm also guessing the very slow speed of the scroll doesn't help hide the issue.