Layer ordering with smart bones?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

FeeblyWeebly

Layer ordering with smart bones?

Post by FeeblyWeebly »

Does anyone know of any tutorials that deal directly with rigging smart bones and explaining how to add the layer ordering with them.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Layer ordering with smart bones?

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I don't remember any tutorial, but it's very simple:
- Smart bones can control the order of any layer inside the main bone layer, as well as group/bone inside them. Likewise any other layer inside a group/bone.
- The group/bone you want to animate must have checker the "Allow animated layer order" on its proprieties, "Depth sort" tab.
- In my opinion, the best way is to create a multiple frames Smart Bone Action and put the layer order keyframe(s) inbetween. To add a keyframe, you just need to go to the frame you want and reorder the layers there. The Layer order keyframe will be visible in the main bone layer or on the group/bone inside it.
- If you have several smart bones with Layer ordering, probably there will be conflict between them (the software couldn't know what layer order it should show).So to create different smart bones moving different layers, it's very useful to group them on as many groups/layers as needed. That way there will be no conflict between those groups.

I think that's all :)
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
FeeblyWeebly

Re: Layer ordering with smart bones?

Post by FeeblyWeebly »

Thats it?! lol, I thought this was going to be complicated, thanks!