Pirate Girl Rig Question

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Pirate Girl Rig Question

Post by Greenlaw »

I have a question about the Pirate Girl rig that comes with the ASP 10 Pro content. When the legs are animated, there is an apparent collision effect occurring when a thigh touches the outer edge of the skirt. I'm sure this isn't real collision but just how is this effect set up?

I've been looking through the bones and actions settings but can't find anything related to this. I would like to understand this setup so we can apply it in our current project.

Thanks in advance for any helpful information. :)

G.
heyvern

Re: Pirate Girl Rig Question

Post by heyvern »

Just a guess without in depth exploration...

There two smart bones; "B19" and "B15" that appear to control the legs "spread" of the dress bones that simulates collision detection. You need to "show all bones" to see these bones and all the other bones involved that are keyed in the actions.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Thanks, heyvern, for the fast response! :)

I looked for something like that yesterday with the bones but it's likely I missed it. I'll focus my attention in that area then.

G.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I got a moment to look at this again. I'll need to play around it a bit more when I get home but I think I'm beginning to understand the setup.

Thanks for the tip! :)

G.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

The setup is exactly what Vern says :)
I rigged that 5 startup characters. In the Smart bone action, when B19 rotates, the skirt bones rotate and scale to simulate a collision. I just hid all the bones which aren't necessary to see for the animation.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hi Selgin,

Thanks for confirming what Vern said. I took the rig apart this evening, focusing on the Smartbones and the thigh bones, and learned that I had been way over thinking how you did this 'collision' trick. Your setup is very clever in its simplicity, and it's exactly what I need for my project.

I love this forum. It's been a great educational resource thanks to users like you guys. :D

G.