In Anime Studio Pro 10, how to turn a hand on the watch ?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

hayasidist

Re: In Anime Studio Pro 10, how to turn a hand on the watch

Post by hayasidist »

yeah - that's pretty much cracked it... well done! a minor glitch in the cycle in that second file -- and that's MY fault -- should have been

frame >>>N+3<<< blade 1

I've edited the post to correct this mistake on my part
freddy9638

Post by freddy9638 »

Hi hayasidist

Thanks for quick reply and edited information.
I also checked and corrected my "RectanglePropelleEdited4" according to your post.

I feel even better and much comfortable than ever to touch my rotate work.

An issue to remain of the turn is how to give more speed.
Increasing more layers of blades like blade4, blade5 and blade6?
Is there any better idea to jump up on a step farther?

If you have an additional method for the turn to increase more speed, please let me know.
I would like to practice by your method, as long as possible.

I appreciate your cooperation with an appropriate instruction on my direction.

Thanks for any advances,

Freddy
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

hi -- nope - more tweens won't do it... think about it for a moment. in 3 frames with the blades you have - they turn 60 degrees .. so adding extra in-betweens and then putting them into a cycle will make the cycle longer for the same 60 rotation... longer cycle, slower turn

However, those extra in-betweens will make the slower rotation look less jerky... (BTW for a sustained slow turn I'd use the "windmill" approach of layer rotation and not a switch)

a couple of things for you to play with:

DO make the extra in-betweens -- instead of just 3, make 6 -- add them at "halfway" between 1/2, 2/3, 3/1 and then...

-- in the slow turn rather than (say) having the "coarse" rotations at N+0, N+6, N+12 you have extra keys (in the right sequence!!) at N+3, N+ 9, N+15... and that will make the slow turn look smoother

-- in the fast turn mix things up a bit ... so have a set of keys that has all 6 tweens in a such as 1,3,2,4,5,2,6, 5 .. and back to 1 ... and see what that looks like...

===

Now you're getting the feeling that it still isn't fast enough so this is where you have to take over and draw what a camera will see every time it takes a snapshot ... which is a blur....

The tip of an aircraft propeller is going VERY fast (in some cases faster than the speed of sound) but the hub isn't... so now imagine that you have to smear a propeller blade over the angle that it will travel in one frame... you have (lets say) a blade that is 30 pixels wide all the way ... and the blade has to travel 180 degrees in one frame... so you have to spread those 30 pixels of blade out over the distance travelled.. one every 6 degrees .. and that's a long way between pixels at the tip; but not so far at the hub... so the PERCEIVED opacity at the tip is (say) 10%, but it's still 100% at the hub (camera folk will spot that this is not completely accurate ... but more about that another time.)

so, for now, draw a circle and set up a gradient that goes from "dark" 100% opacity at the centre to low opacity at the edge (remember to "enable transparency") .. use that as the baseline and make a couple of copies of that, and shift the gradient control handle a bit in the copies... now put those three circles into a switch / cycle... and play around with sequence and timing...

More when you've done that!
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Some time ago forum member slowtiger posted an idea which you may be able to adapt. His idea related to a butcher chopping some meat. In order to make the chopping motion look faster, he suggested placing several phases of the chopping motion in the same frame. It works; you don't see it, but you feel it. You could try that with helicopter blades. Just an idea...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

First of all you have to remember that in animation it's not about building stuff like in the real world, then move it and apply lots of effects to make it look right. Animation is about making it look convincing by whatever means.

Here's a cartoony helicopter I just did in 20 minutes:
http://slowtiger.de/examples/helicopter.mov

Can you spot all the elements by yourself?
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

nice! .. and more from slowtiger on fast movement here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24645&p=136452
freddy9638

Post by freddy9638 »

Hello jahnocli,

Thank you for useful information.
I would like to appreciate greatly.

I read an amazing article of slowtiger.
It is like a great guidebook of motion blur to me by very superior contents.

I thank your post with helpful advice.

Sincerely,
Freddy
freddy9638

Post by freddy9638 »

Hello slowtiger,

Thank you for useful information.
I have watched your super helicopter animation.
It is amazing and splendid completion!!

Have you done to produce it in 20 minutes?
Wow, I cannot completely imagine it!
How did you do this rotate of helicopter?
If as possible I would like to know your top secret of how you have done it!!!

----------------------
As you asked...
"Can you spot all the elements by yourself? "
---------------------
Honestly, I cannot spot all the elements by my self, even one element.

Here is a 12 second movie, that I created in struggle, of my poor propeller turn.
However, regrettably, I cannot draw it quite just as I wanted.
Please take a look at it then if possible please give some advice for me. It would be greatly appreciated.

I edited this URL switched by a different movie that inspired by your cartoon helicopter movie.

------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xp9qucdbt5rvp ... 1.mov?dl=0
------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't mind, I really want to have your advice for this issue of motion blur, please.

Any advances would be appreciated.
I thank for your kindness from a heart.

Sincerely,
- Freddy
Last edited by freddy9638 on Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
freddy9638

Post by freddy9638 »

Hi Hayasidist,

I thank your very detailed large article of an aircraft propeller theory for me.
Simultaneously, I truly appreciate your kindness and admire your experimental knowledge of Anime Studio.
I have still been trying to your detailed data of an aircraft propeller for one step jump up of my skill as an anime creator in future.
So please wait for a next upload on Dropbox of my exercise till improve a little bit.
I also thank you gave me an notification to the superior contents of the motion blur of slowtiger. I read it and am very impressed.
Although I saw many cartoon movies included Walt Disney movies, but his comment of motion blur is completely new for me.
The cartoon helicopter of slowtiger is wonderful! I like it very much.
As like as your theory, his motion-blur-theory also will definitely be a useful skill on my work. Hopefully, I really wish to study it too :-)

Here is a project of mine. In the project, an aircrafts, helicopters and others like many of flying objects will be all a chief character and performer in my animation :-)

So, for now, I have to concentrate on what these flying-objects is priority of my work on anime studio.

Lastly, I always thank for your kindness and sincere advice for a newbie of AnimeStudio.

Sincerely,
- Freddy
RichardC

Post by RichardC »

I did a clock for a recent animation...Check it out here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnmXQEYj1DM
Rotating hands was done by setting the origin to the desired point of rotation (in this case the base of the hand) and keyframing the first position (12 noon), then move forward down the timeline to the time you need for the desired speed of rotation and rotate the layer 360 degrees clockwise, thus making another keyframe - this causes the minute hand to rotate a full circle clockwise. Then simply copy and paste the keyframe you just made along the timeline to set how many rotations you need for the animation.
Same process for the hour hand except it is rotated forward to point at the next hour at each keyframe you pasted for the minute hand (when it reaches 12 each time). You can use paste relative to speed up this process, if you like.
freddy9638

Post by freddy9638 »

Hello RichardC,

Your movie is splendid! :D
The movement of the hand on the watch turns very well, so I love your work.
Simultaneously, handling of cards of gamblers shows amazing movement. That is excellent!!

I think that you have done a great job to put a lot of time-consuming techniques on your movie.
I wish that I can do it like you.
I love this movie very much. : - ) :)

Thanks for the contribution of your movie on youtube.
Please tell us your other works. Thanks for any advances.

Sincerely,
- Freddy
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

love the disintegration of the red dragon at the end!
RichardC

Post by RichardC »

Thanks freddy9638 and hayasidist.
Other animations and a couple of movies are on youtube here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SueC827/videos
This is my partner's youtube account; I lost access to mine some time ago :(
Cheers
Rick
freddy9638

Post by freddy9638 »

Hello Hayasidist,
--------------------------------
so, for now, draw a circle and set up a gradient that goes from "dark" 100% opacity at the centre to low opacity at the edge (remember to "enable transparency") ..
--------------------------------

Thank you this advice as I quoted above from your post.
I just created a silly 12 second movie of a helicopter and add some background -moon and sound- inspired by slowtiger's cartoon helicopter.

--------------------------------------------
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xp9qucdbt5rvp ... 1.mov?dl=0
--------------------------------------------

It still contain some issues what I have to solve as soon as possible, for example, such as a solid center of turn objects, keyframe management or camerawork.

If you have comment regarding this poor movie, your comment would be very appreciated.

I have been in a kinda very hard work because of my immatured skill of ASP10.
Even this kind of small movie does force me in a very hard work time.

Fortunately, I have been receiving a lot of comment from many people who are great experienced animators and creators of ASP world as technical advices. I truly would like to express my appreciation for all of forum members.

Sincerely,
- Freddy
freddy9638

Post by freddy9638 »

Hello RichardC,

Thanks, I enjoyed your youtube movies very much. :D
I understood then what relationship between your red dragon and white dragon .
Oops, shouldn't forget the green spider gunman as a fanny supporting role actor :-)

I can see easily that your movie consists a lot of important technical essence of ASP. I like your movie! It's fun to watch from the viewpoint of kids.

As hayasidist said, I also like the technique of particle that disintegrates the red dragon.

Please show us your next movie of dragon series. :D

Sincerely,
- Freddy