SOLVED: Flowing one scene seamlessly into another

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

highrise955

SOLVED: Flowing one scene seamlessly into another

Post by highrise955 »

Instead of creating one long animation, which will tax my system resources, I plan on dividing up it up into several parts (projects).

The entire animation will have objects moving in a continuous loop. For example, the rotor blades of a helicopter and an animated GIF or two that I will import as an image sequence.

My question is, how do I ensure that there is a seamless transition between the scenes? There won't be any convenient place to do that since the moving objects will always be present. I guess basically what I am asking is...Is there a way to start a new scene by copying the end of the previous scene? Just copying the final frame doesn't do it nor does the "Start Layer Start Time".

Any input would be appreciated.
Last edited by highrise955 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slowtiger

Re: Flowing one scene seamlessly into another

Post by slowtiger »

Planning this is crucial. Do a plan on paper, write down each segment's frame length, and each of your loop's frame length. Calculate and double-check so you know which loop starts with which frame in each segment. Use the sequencer view of the timeline to shift the loops to the correct starting point. And you have to render the segments and splice them in a video editor to check again.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
highrise955

Re: Flowing one scene seamlessly into another

Post by highrise955 »

slowtiger wrote:Planning this is crucial. Do a plan on paper, write down each segment's frame length, and each of your loop's frame length. Calculate and double-check so you know which loop starts with which frame in each segment. Use the sequencer view of the timeline to shift the loops to the correct starting point. And you have to render the segments and splice them in a video editor to check again.
I took your advice and here is what I did...

My first scene is 360 frames. I put all of the layers into a "Group" layer so it would be easier to move them in the Sequencer. Since the Sequencer is not as robust as I would like, I added a visual marker layer that was only visible on frame 361. Then in the Sequencer I dragged frame 361 of the group layer to frame 1. After rendering both scenes and putting them in my video editor the transition was seamless even for the loops.

Thanks for your advice. As always, a major help! :D