Problem with bones and textures

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

eyebot

Problem with bones and textures

Post by eyebot »

Hi all,

Did a quick search in the forum and found some people were having issues with texture and bones but didn't find anything related to my issue. Essentially, I am using image textures as textures, but when I move or bend the bone, the texture disappears in weird ways. I do have the tile checked in the image texture tab:

http://imageshack.com/a/img835/2229/rqkf.png

Does anyone know how to fix that? I had read something about using the textures as masks but A. not sure how to do that, and B. wouldn't that be an issue if I needed the texture to move with the bones?

Thanks!
Eyebot
Greenlaw

Re: Problem with bones and textures

Post by Greenlaw »

FWIW, displaying and deforming textures with bones seems to be working here. Could this be a graphics card driver issue? Check that you have the latest for your graphics card/chipset.

Also, does the texture appear when you render? On rare occasions in ASP, I've had certain OGL properties disappear when I'm animating but the images are fine when I render. If this becomes a problem for me, restarting the program seems to clear up the issue. This might be graphics card related too...it only occurs on my Tablet PC which has an ATI Radeon chipset. I don't think I've seen such problems on my workstation with the Nvidia GTX 460.

Hope you get it figured out.

G.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
eyebot

Post by eyebot »

I don't think its related to my machine, I have a pretty solid graphics card and do some pretty intensive stuff with other programs. Opening it on other machines doesn't seem to solve the problem either. It only happens when the bone is moved substantially so it leads me to think its related to that somehow, bone vs image texture issue.
Eyebot
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

When you work with textures, you have to treat them as images, even when you character is made with vectors.
By default, textures use bone strength to move, so if you have several bones with strength, the texture will follow all them. That generates the weirdness.
You have two options:
- If you are in 9.2 (or previous), you must set up your character with all its parts far from each other. That way bones won't interfere each other. Once it's setup, you must use Bone Offset tool to put all the parts back on its real place.

- If you are in 9.5, you can setup your character all together and use the menu Bone>Use selected bones for Flexibind. So, for example, you select the two or three bones of the arm, then select the vector layer where the bone is and use the menu item. That will tell the software the arm layer only moves with that specific bones.
Then repeat the process in all the layers where needed.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
eyebot

Post by eyebot »

Flexibind layer did the trick!! Thanks! :)
Eyebot