How to start programming in Lua

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

aji

How to start programming in Lua

Post by aji »

I have experience with Anime studio.I wish to create tools for anime studio. But i dont have any xperience in programming.
Where to start for programming in Lua.
Which programming/scripting language similar to Lua ( In syntax ...etc)
Is I need any background in prgramming for Lua learning
Please help and share your views

aji
hayasidist

Re: How to start programming in Lua

Post by hayasidist »

if you have no programming experience of any sort, IMO the best place to start is with a basic "how to design and write programs" course from a formal education establishment (either distance learning or classroom based) (a "teach yourself" approach can often result in "bad habits" that are hard to break). LUA is similar to c - and is quite different from fortran or cobol; or assembler-level coding - so aim for a course that teaches something such as c - it's unlikely that you'll find a Lua course.

Take a look at http://www.lua.org/ for documentation on Lua.

Once you've learned the language the next (and, again IMO, the biggest) hurdle is understanding the functions that AS provides to enable you to interact with the AS environment. There is some documentation (but it's not very well maintained) and a few tutorials - Vern's is pretty good - see: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24298; and GCharb has a couple - see: http://www.kelleytown.com/forum/animato ... IC_ID=1930.

Many scripters use the AS-provided scripts and modify them to suit their need -- you'll find all sorts of "how do I use <this> function" questions in this and other forums.

You've picked a steep hill to climb -- but it can be done... good luck - and keep asking questions.. you'll find that there's plenty of help here and elsewhere from experienced programmers / scripters.