adjusting colour, brightness, saturation

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ophir

adjusting colour, brightness, saturation

Post by ophir »

Hello,
does anyone know if there is a possibility to adjust colour, saturation, brightness, contrast etc of a layer, like in Photoshop?
I´m using vector layers filled with images.
I can´t find it...maybe it´s just wishful thinking.
Thanks in advance for any replies!
Ophir
slowtiger

Re: adjusting colour, brightness, saturation

Post by slowtiger »

AS doesn't have these options.

You can, however, do a small amount of colour and brightness changes with a combination of layer transfer controls, opacity, and maybe masks.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
ophir

Post by ophir »

Thanks!
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

HSV is just another way of encoding colours. There is a way to convert between HSV and RGB (http://www.rapidtables.com/convert/color/rgb-to-hsv.htm and http://www.rapidtables.com/convert/color/hsv-to-rgb.htm). As slowtiger has hinted, you can manipulate layer colours in many ways -- and there also are layer blend modes that work on HSV (rather than RGB) --(and see http://www.kelleytown.com/forum/animato ... IC_ID=1508).

I've never really found the need to work HSV, but I guess if you're more in an HSV mindset than RGB, I can understand why you'd want this... However, in short, whatever the colour you can get it using an HSV or an RGB encoding .. same colour, different set of numbers.
lucasgonzaga

Post by lucasgonzaga »

Hello, first sorry for my bad english.

I work using HSL instead of RGB. I know I can get the same colours in both but I don't adapt to RGB. I think HSL is more precise for my style of drawing.

I'm here to ask if there is a way to create a panel to select HSL colors and just convert to RGB.

Right now I'm using this site to select my desired colours

http://hslpicker.com

and then use the moho color picker at the color.

Thanks you
Lucas
--
Lucas Gonzaga
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

All said, I do wish we had some actual image controls for imported image layers. At least the basics: Curves, Levels, Brightness, Contrast, Gamma, Hue and Sat controls.

There have been a few times when I've wanted to roll the hue slightly or soften a color by desturating and brightening layers for a specific scene but I really don't wish to create a whole new set of images for the character in Photoshop, especially if I'm not going to use that 'special' version again. Because I can't do this in Moho, I usually try to make the adjustments in comp (AE or Fusion,) but sometimes it would be easier if I could do this before rendering out of Moho, especially if the color process is for a layer that shouldn't have to be be split out separately.
lucasgonzaga

Post by lucasgonzaga »

I work for a studio using toon boom harmony. With this new release of moho I'm trying to develop the work that we do in harmony in moho. I'm loving it, it has a lot of potential but there are still lack of basic options.

I can't belive that an "animation / art tool" don't have another color selector option. Swatches and RGB are not enough for a lot of artists.

I believe I'm not alone and hope this "issue" can be fixed soon.

Again, sorry for my bad english.
--
Lucas Gonzaga
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I agree. I typically use RGB but there are times when I wish I could use the other color picker modes.

Moho doesn't need every option found in a full blown compositing or finishing program but it should have the basics a studio artist would expect.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

As an aside: several compositing tools have been released for free recently, like Fusion for Mac.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
stealingfeathers

Post by stealingfeathers »

Greenlaw wrote:All said, I do wish we had some actual image controls for imported image layers. At least the basics: Curves, Levels, Brightness, Contrast, Gamma, Hue and Sat controls.

There have been a few times when I've wanted to roll the hue slightly or soften a color by desturating and brightening layers for a specific scene but I really don't wish to create a whole new set of images for the character in Photoshop, especially if I'm not going to use that 'special' version again. Because I can't do this in Moho, I usually try to make the adjustments in comp (AE or Fusion,) but sometimes it would be easier if I could do this before rendering out of Moho, especially if the color process is for a layer that shouldn't have to be be split out separately.
Hi Greenlaw,

This doesn't address your wishes in their entirety but it's a little trick I learned for color adjustment. It's okay in a pinch, but limited. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3lzo3 ... sp=sharing
This is a PC package - gathered media and zipped, so I don't know how that translates to MAC.
  • Turn off "GPU Acceleration" for best viewing. Or, render.
    Look at the layer settings for the Tree Color Adjust, layer (Ex: Opacity 70%, Layer Blending Mode: Multiply.).