re-use mouth (phoeneme) shapes

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

drichird

re-use mouth (phoeneme) shapes

Post by drichird »

If I have a switch group of phoeneme shapes for a girl's mouth, then I want to re-use it for a man. All that changes is lip color and perhaps some slight point repositioning for thinner lips. Is there any way to copy the girl mouth phoenemes and just change lip color,shape without going through every layer?

I was thinking create a short animation for 1 default mouth with every phoeme shape, then for every character (man, woman, etc...) start at frame 0 with default colored and shaped mouth, size and color appropriately, then go to each frame with a new phoenme shape, create new layer for it, and copy that frame to frame 0 and remove animation.

Is there a better way?
madrobot

Re: re-use mouth (phoeneme) shapes

Post by madrobot »

You have kind of answered your own question.
The work around would be at the construction stage. When you build the first mouth, try making an action to change the lip width and colour for example. The for the female character copy the switch layer and apply the action "make mouth girly" to each layer.
Or make 2 different switch layers, one for each gender, from the outset. It is a bit of work but pays off in the results, and you can reuse the rig across new characters.