Making a STYLE without a Fill

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

JericRoM

Making a STYLE without a Fill

Post by JericRoM »

Noob question:

I've tried to create a STYLE with zero fill, IOW a Style that is ONLY the stroke weight color, but haven't succeeded-- if I UNcheck the FILL box, I get a white fill, even if the color selected is not white.

I'm sure I'm making some little dumb error, but what would it be? :oops:

THANKS
Greenlaw

Re: Making a STYLE without a Fill

Post by Greenlaw »

That sounds strange. FWIW, it works here. Just to be sure of your procedure:

1. Create the style and name it.
2. Uncheck Fill.
3. Select the shape you want to appy the style to using the Select Shape tool
4. Apply the style by selecting the style's name from under the Style 1 or Style 2 list.

If you want to edit the style, you need to choose the style's name from under the Styles list.

Alternatively, you can create a style with no fill by dialing the alpha down to zero. But unchecking the Fill box for the style really should do it and would be the preferred way.

Are you sure the style has been applied to the shape? The name of the style needs to appear under Style 1 or Style 2 for it to be applied.

Hope this helps.

G.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, I just thought of something--it's possible that you have a copy of the shape stacked on top of another and the bottom shape might be filled with white. This happened to me once.

To find out, try selecting and deleting the top shape. If there is a copy of the shape underneath, it should remain visible. Then try applying the style to that shape.

G.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

There`s a video tutorial about styles on this forum. You should search for it, since it explains the usage of the panel and some unusual behaviors.
JericRoM

Post by JericRoM »

Thanks, I'll look for that.

Like I said, I'm sure it's something stupid: there's a 'rhythm' that needs to be acquired with each new piece of software.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

There is another thing to look at.

There is the ability to directly modify the style of a shape. If you "uncheck" the fill, there will be no fill, only the stroke.

If you create a NAMED style with the fill "unchecked" and apply it to the shape it will still have a fill because the fill display is controlled by the actual shape style settings, not the named style that is assigned to it. This can be a bit confusing. Tutorials you find here on the forum should cover this.

I slapped together an image that might help