story bord

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

yadhu.nar

story bord

Post by yadhu.nar »

i want to make a story bord on my story so please give me rules to make a story bord
and an example of it
slowtiger

Re: story bord

Post by slowtiger »

Please google "Storyboard". There are plenty of examples in the web.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I wrote a article on storyboarding our short film 'Happy Box'. It's pretty specific to the project but it might give you some helpful insight to the process. You can read the article here:

Studio Sessions 3: Storyboarding 'Happy Box'

You can also see the final short film by clicking the link below.

I like to use Toon Boom Storyboard Pro. It's a bit expensive but if you do a lot of storyboarding, I think it's worth it. I started out using Toon Boom's standard version, which is a whole lot cheaper. Standard is a bit stripped down in that it won't output an animatic for you but it's still very useful. If you like the standard version and want to upgrade, keep an eye on their website; Toon Boom occasionally offers a really good discount for the Pro version. (That's how I was able to afford it.)

Before I started using TBS, I just printed my own forms on paper and drew with a pencil and marker, which is perfectly fine and many storyboard artists still work this way. In fact, any drawing or paint program will do. Some people even use Smith-Micro's Poser or Manga Studio to create storyboards.

The big advantage in using either version of TBS is easy organization, editing and revisions. If you have the pro version, you can also output an animatic with a separate frame counter for each scene, which I find very useful for timing final animations.

FYI, the short film we're creating in Anime Studio Pro right now was storyboarded using TBSP.

G.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

First off - loved the video and the insight behind how it was put together is fantastic, Greenlaw!

As for storyboarding, pen & paper has always served me very well. There is a free program called Celtx which people used to rave about and as near as I can tell it's still free:

https://www.celtx.com/desktop.html

Have a gander and see what you think. As for how to storyboard, follow Greenlaw's page. You stary with a basic idea, then script, then draw each shot corresponding to the script. Some people then go so far as to make an "animatic" or animated version of the storyboard. I don't do that step but for many it's important.
~Danimal