many many actions in a single bone control lever

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

aji

many many actions in a single bone control lever

Post by aji »

smart bone-control levers

in a video tutorial i saw two actions (head turn left and right) assign to a bone. i think more actions can be assign to a bone that rotate in 360 degree and vertical and horizontal movements.
Please share your experiences and views regarding this. That may improve workflows

The mentioned youtube link is here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ESF0srTTB8

aji
funksmaname

Re: many many actions in a single bone control lever

Post by funksmaname »

only two per bone, one for each direction of the bone.
aji

Post by aji »

Thanks funksmaname
for the reply and information
Bossco

Post by Bossco »

Hi aji,

I'm currently working on a head turn by applying smart bone actions.
From what I've experienced so far, to have a single smart bone control both horizontal AND vertical movements, I doubt it. But I'm sure that some bright spark here may well prove how it's possible in the future as I'm constantly surprised at what this software reveals itself to be able to do.

But if we take the vertical movements out of the equation it may be plausible to do a 360 degree head turn on the horizontal movement with one smart bone.
Because we can insert intermediate actions and point keyframes on the smart bone timeline.
When creating the keyframes on the smart bone timeline you could take the positive movement of the smart bone to turn the head from head facing forwards to turn to the right until the back of the head faces us, and conversely you could take the negative movement of the smart bone to turn the head from head facing forwards to turn to the left until the back of the head faces us.
Then when it comes to animating it should be possible to turn the head 360 in two moves using the one smart bone. i.e. front to back in the positive movement, insert keyframe, then from the back to the front in the negative movement of the smart bone, insert keyframe. You wouldn't actually be turning the bone 360 degrees, but you would be using one bone to make it appear so in two moves.
In theory that could work, couldn't it?

Perhaps to do a 360 degree it may be possible using the Morphdials script. But I don't know.