working with external styles

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

amanandink

Re: working with external styles

Post by amanandink »

thats script does sound awesome Vern, it seems it is the first steps to creating selection of master files (styles and characters) that asp scenes could dynamically reference.

j
RichardU

Post by RichardU »

I just reviewed the videos for 9.5. There are some changes to styles, but nothing like this. In fact, the most telling thing I heard about styles was: "We may, in the future, need to make some improvements to the overall style window." (I'm paraphrasing from memory.)

As for the library, I wonder if I'm the only one who prefers to use the file explorer.
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

RichardU wrote:I just reviewed the videos for 9.5. There are some changes to styles, but nothing like this. In fact, the most telling thing I heard about styles was: "We may, in the future, need to make some improvements to the overall style window." (I'm paraphrasing from memory.)
We didn't get much new with styles, that's true. Hopefully in v10.

In the meantime, Vern might save us. It looks very promising.
RichardU wrote:As for the library, I wonder if I'm the only one who prefers to use the file explorer.
The nice thing about the library is that you can easily import stuff. It's especially nice when working with many animators.

And in 9.5 there's the "Shared Resources" folder in the library, where you can put all your embedded scripts and images that are referenced from multiple files so you don't have anything double.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Yes, if I knew there was anything "big" like this in 9.5 regarding styles I wouldn't even bother with this script. :)

The interesting thing is the Anime Studio import and library should also work with styles without a complete redesign or redo. There should be a way to be able to separate out styles when importing a file from the hard drive or the library. I like the ability that was added to import individual layers. The next step would be to be able to import just the styles. The named styles get imported with the file... just... leave out the file... and of course fix the duplicate names.

An interesting side note; you can copy vectors with named styles in one file, open another file with the same named styles, paste the copied vectors and they automatically use the named styles of the open document without the duplication of the named styles. So if the destination document you paste into has different style settings for the same styles the pasted vectors keep the style name reference but pick up the destination files styles. The named styles are not "copied" when you copy vectors. If you paste into a new document with no styles, the named styles are not copied.
RichardU

Post by RichardU »

Lukas wrote:In the meantime, Vern might save us. It looks very promising.
I agree, and greatly appreciate the scripts from Vern and others. Recently, my favorite scripts have been about leaving the confines of the .anme file, e.g. saving bone animations, saving .dat files etc. To do so with Styles would be fantastic.
Lukas wrote:The nice thing about the library is that you can easily import stuff. It's especially nice when working with many animators. And in 9.5 there's the "Shared Resources" folder in the library, where you can put all your embedded scripts and images that are referenced from multiple files so you don't have anything double.
Thanks for responding to that. I'm always happy to learn when there is a more efficient way to do things. I just loaded 9.5 minutes ago. I have searched the term "Shared Resources" in both the manual and the tutorial manual and came up with nothing, and I don't see it in the Library window. Could what you are referring to be called something else?
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

RichardU wrote:I have searched the term "Shared Resources" in both the manual and the tutorial manual and came up with nothing, and I don't see it in the Library window. Could what you are referring to be called something else?
If you have set a custom folder (Help > Set Custom Folder), it creates a folder called "Shared Resources" in there. If you open up a .anme file and it can't find certain referenced files, it's gonna look in the folder the .anme file is saved, but also in the Shared Resources.

If you use embedded scripts, I recommend always putting them in the Shared Resources :)
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

HOLY CRAP!!!

Even I didn't know about how to use the Shared Resources folder for embedded scripts!!!!! WOooohooo!! That is way cool.
I would see that folder but wasn't exactly sure what it was used for.

Dagnabbit... that would have been an awesome detail for my scripting webinar. <sigh>
RichardU

Post by RichardU »

Lukas wrote:If you use embedded scripts, I recommend always putting them in the Shared Resources :)
Good idea, although I don't equate that to the Library. To me, the Library is the thing that opens when you select the Window \ Library command. I still find it easier to use a native file explorer.
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

RichardU wrote:
Lukas wrote:If you use embedded scripts, I recommend always putting them in the Shared Resources :)
Good idea, although I don't equate that to the Library. To me, the Library is the thing that opens when you select the Window \ Library command. I still find it easier to use a native file explorer.
I understand what you mean.

I only use the Library window to import rigs. When I'm managing and creating content I also use the OS explorer. But I do use the library folder for all my rigs.
RichardU

Post by RichardU »

HeyVern, I can't help you write this script, but I'd be glad to help you test it.
amanandink

Post by amanandink »

Hey Vern, did you happen to get that script up and running after all?

J
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

amanandink wrote:Hey Vern, did you happen to get that script up and running after all?

J
Well, as those of us who don't get to use Anime Studio for a living, the real world intrudes. :)

That script is only partially functional. I have a "skeleton" of functionality but nothing that actually does anything properly yet. Bunch of console errors. It will work but I need to shrink down and crawl inside it again. Right now, I am crawling around inside big website projects. I feel like Ripley and Hicks crawling through air ducts with Aliens chasing me. More PHP than lua for vern at the moment.

;)

p.s. Did you know that the term "bug" causing errors in computer programming actually came about because of a moth inside the first computer? A moth crawled inside, fried its arse and shorted out a circuit.
amanandink

Post by amanandink »

Fair enough Vern, cant really argue with that. I look forward to it when you have the time, although maybe a we should push a styles overhaul in the betas, although there is so much wanted this time round.

J
RichardU

Post by RichardU »

I've been thinking about this all morning before I saw these latest posts. Stream of consciousness:

START
"I wonder if Vern ever got that script for Styles running?"
"Maybe I should ask."
"But I don't want to be pushy. It's like begging for a handout."
"But maybe, if nobody asks, he'll think that nobody cares about it."
"Oh crap. Now I need to change a bunch more styles."
RETURN TO START
amanandink

Post by amanandink »

k so for beta testers i posted this to the mantis

https://mantis.smithmicro.com/view.php?id=31509