smoothly front walking

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

chasethepassion

smoothly front walking

Post by chasethepassion »

Thank you for your help,

Just 1 more question, please... Can you give some advice to make character walk more smoothly like this video below ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0qcvuyZW38

Thank you and so sorry about my English grammar :oops:
I love to make good films for children, environment. I don't know how to do that ? But I believe in hard work would pay off.
3deeguy

Re: smoothly front walking

Post by 3deeguy »

Thanks for the link. I'll probably watch this a 100 times. I'll take screen shots at various points and tweak it until I get something I like. When I worked on 'flapping' wings I did a lot of research and tweaking.
I want to create a character that walks toward the camera.
Cheers, Larry
Wiseling

Post by Wiseling »

Hi :)
...great for reference are these two sites http://www.biomotionlab.ca/Demos/BMLwalker.html and http://www.biomotionlab.ca/Demos/BMLrunner.html
It's great because you can see the figure walking or running from every angle and in different moods.
Regards
Iris
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

Wiseling, thanks. That's probably where the YouTube animator got the walking reference. I've always wanted to master front-facing animation.
Cheers, Larry
Paul Mesken

Post by Paul Mesken »

The upper body is a bit stiff. If you look at his shirt, it doesn't change form at all. The side of the high shoulder should be straight, the side of the low shoulder should be bent.

In a walk, the upper body and head rocks from side to side to keep the weight centered on the foot that's on the ground. In a real walk this isn't very pronounced like it is when standing still on one foot. Still, it should be indicated and in animation it can't hurt to exaggerate it.

The shoulder line runs counter to that of the hips (high hip is the side of the foot on the ground). In the animation the shoulder line doesn't move either, it stays level. You can clearly see how the angles of the shoulders and hips should have been on the Muybridge photo (every animator should have the Muybridge books).

That's why the animation looks a bit stiff. The upper body doesn't move like it should during a walk. In any natural movement the muscles closest to the center of the body move first (those of the trunk, especially the hips). The rest follows in order of how close they are to the center (shoulder moves before the lower arm, for example).