How to make FORWADING walk cycle more smoothly ?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

chasethepassion

How to make FORWADING walk cycle more smoothly ?

Post by chasethepassion »

Hello, guys. :D

Can you give me some advices to make character Front View Stand/Walk Cycle walk more smoothly and more realistic like this video below I found on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0qcvuyZW38

Thank you and so sorry about my English grammar :oops:
Last edited by chasethepassion on Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love to make good films for children, environment. I don't know how to do that ? But I believe in hard work would pay off.
jessica951

Re: How to make walk cycle more smoothly like this video ?

Post by jessica951 »

I think the first thing you should do is find a good reference video like
chasethepassion

jessica951 wrote:I think the first thing you should do is find a good reference video like
Thank you jessica, I hope i can file tutorial video like this. :mrgreen: I found video guide using Anime Studio about forward walk cycle ( use translate bone ), but it doesn't look smoothly and realistic.
I love to make good films for children, environment. I don't know how to do that ? But I believe in hard work would pay off.
jessica951

Post by jessica951 »

chasethepassion wrote:
jessica951 wrote:I think the first thing you should do is find a good reference video like
Thank you jessica, I hope i can file tutorial video like this. :mrgreen: I found video guide using Anime Studio about forward walk cycle ( use translate bone ), but it doesn't look smoothly and realistic.
I think translate bones would work along with manipulations of points. I attempted to do a front cycle before but I found it a bit too difficult and gave up haha. Here's my attempt from a couple of years ago:
chasethepassion

Thank you for your advice. I will give it a shot .

Any way, I just visit your website, youtube channel, it is great and I hope to learn a lot from your resources. :mrgreen:

Thank you. :o
jessica951

Post by jessica951 »

chasethepassion wrote:Thank you for your advice. I will give it a shot .

Any way, I just visit your website, youtube channel, it is great and I hope to learn a lot from your resources. :mrgreen:

Thank you. :o
No problem and thanks for checking out my blog! I would also advise you to work on other views if it is easier for you so you can understand how the walk cycle works. There are various books that teach you how to make a convincing walk. I like the one from Preston Blair's book. Here is the page: http://www.darlingdimples.com/?page_id=79
chasethepassion

Re: How to make FORWADING walk cycle more smoothly ?

Thank you jessica for your advice , I just order this book Animation 1: Learn to Animate Cartoons Step by Step from amazon.

I also pm the neeters_guy and he said he will give a short guide about run cycle soon. :mrgreen:
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

chasethepassion wrote:he said he will give a short guide about run cycle soon. :mrgreen:
Let's learn to walk first before we start running, okay? :wink:

A basic front walk is similar to the side. There are the same stride and passing poses.
(Based on the walk in Character Wizard.)
Notice in the passing pose the body leans over the planted foot to maintain balance.

This a very basic walk. To "plus" it, you could:
  • ...add an up and down breakdown pose between stride and passing poses, ie., stride, DOWN, passing, UP, stride, etc.
    ...add more positions in your foot switches: up, down, back.
    ...animate layer sorting to move hands behind or ahead of the torso.
    ...twist the shoulder and hips so they are opposite to each other.

A realistic front walk is less forgiving than a side walk because the perspective makes it hard to position the knees and feet properly. There's just more stuff to keep track of and bones will have to be moved, rotated, and scaled to get the effect you want. I keep a lot of notes while animating to keep all the values straight.
chasethepassion

Thank you, neeters_guy for taking time to do this useful guide. :D

Is this technique the same with Run Cycle forwarding too ? :mrgreen:

I will apply your guide to my work, and send you to check and share this useful tip for everyone.

Many thanks,again, sir.
jessica951

Post by jessica951 »

neeters_guy wrote:
chasethepassion wrote:he said he will give a short guide about run cycle soon. :mrgreen:
Let's learn to walk first before we start running, okay? :wink:

A basic front walk is similar to the side. There are the same stride and passing poses.
(Based on the walk in Character Wizard.)
Notice in the passing pose the body leans over the planted foot to maintain balance.

This a very basic walk. To "plus" it, you could:
  • ...add an up and down breakdown pose between stride and passing poses, ie., stride, DOWN, passing, UP, stride, etc.
    ...add more positions in your foot switches: up, down, back.
    ...animate layer sorting to move hands behind or ahead of the torso.
    ...twist the shoulder and hips so they are opposite to each other.

A realistic front walk is less forgiving than a side walk because the perspective makes it hard to position the knees and feet properly. There's just more stuff to keep track of and bones will have to be moved, rotated, and scaled to get the effect you want. I keep a lot of notes while animating to keep all the values straight.
I will definitely use this if I want to do a front walk cycle. Thanks for the post
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

chasethepassion wrote:I will apply your guide to my work, and send you to check and share this useful tip for everyone.
Here's a comparison of chasethepassion's file and my tweaked version (hope he doesn't mind, for educational purposes :wink: ).
ImageImage
The tweaks:
  • 1) Up-and-down movement.
    2) Lean the upper torso on the passing.
    3) Animated layer sorting for the arms/hands.
    4) Add skirt movement.
Walks are specific to the individual. The generic walk described in the post above, appropriate for a cartoony male adult, looks odd when applied to a little girl. Trust your eyes and good taste. It's much more reliable than any formula. :)
chasethepassion

Thank you for your help, neeters_guy

I will try to re-tweak your revise file to make little girl can Run Cycle forward , then I will upload for you and everyone check it. :mrgreen:

Here neeters_guy revise file for me - download at https://www.box.com/s/g5m46kmfjvhxy0izqej6
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Dale
Hans Rutgers

Post by Hans Rutgers »

Sometime ago I found this website: http://www.biomotionlab.ca/Demos/BMLwalker.html.
You can alter the walks in a number of ways and grab the movies (with Quicktime on a Mac; there will be something likewise for Windows) for reference. There also is a running version. I find it very useful, because it is possible to generate quite extreme walks.

Hope this helps

Hans
Poptoogi

Post by Poptoogi »

I realize the original post was made almost a year ago but since Hans just posted on the subject I thought I'd also share my suggestion as well. I made this tutorial awhile ago but it might be helpful to anyone trying to make a forward walk cycle. I haven't refined it since I made it but if I do I'll be sure to share!

Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty! Pause, consider, do! I dare you!